Talisman

Chapter 17

April's POV

"Are we there yet?" I mumbled, sleepily.

"Almost." he said.

Once we got home, I went to take a nap immediately because I would have thrown up in that car.

We drove for quite a while and I have motion sickness, remember?

Lucas came in after a while and laid down too, but his face was at boob-level.

"Come help me pack." he said.

"Why now? Are you leaving tomorrow?" I asked while playing with his hair.

"Yeah." he rested his hand on my waist, below my shirt, moving his thumb back and forth.

It was kinda ticklish.

"Oh..okay. I'll help you pack, but not right now, I'm really tired." I said, closing my eyes.

I opened it back and bent down to kiss his forehead.

"What's that for?" he smirked.

"It's like a talisman. To protect you." I smiled.

"Oh, I'm gonna miss you so much." he chuckled but didn't look at me.

"Are you talking to me or my boobs?" I asked.

"Both."

Lucas did most of the packing while I was at the table, getting some work done.

I looked away from my laptop and glanced at him.

"Lulu." I said.

"Yes, Kepner?" he looked up at me.

"What time is your flight? I wanna drive you to the airport." I stated.

"It's nine in the morning but Lucetta's all yours tomorrow, you don't want to be there on time?" he questioned.

"Of course, I want to be on time but that doesn't stop me from taking you." I stated.

"I hope I'll do good." I mumbled and bit my lip.

"You'll be great." he said.

*****

(Do they allow non passengers to reach boarding gate?)

We sat near the boarding gate. It was time to say goodbye.

Okay, maybe I'm overreacting since he will be back in about eight days.

"That's me." he said, calmly and we stood up.

I smiled brightly as he pressed a kiss to my knuckle, "Take good care of Lucetta, and more importantly, take good care of yourself." he adjusted his bag.

"Yeah, you too and don't work too hard." I said and gave his hand a reassuring squeeze. He hugged me as I wrapped my hands around his neck.

I must be a golden retriever girlfriend because, I missed him already, "Have a safe flight. I love you." I said.

"Your rent is due, April." he chuckled into my ear.

"I'll pay before tomorrow." I said.

"I'm kidding." he laughed.

"You'll miss your flight, Lucas." I pointed out.

"Okay, okay. See you soon, Kepner." he said and walked towards the checkpoint.

He looked back and mouthed something but unfortunately, I couldn't make it out.

I walked outside and got into the car.

I was quite late to work but just in time for a meeting. I took a deep breath and adjusted the collar of my black blazer before walking in.

I handled the meeting pretty well but I later realised that I didn't really have any close friends at work. Sure, I talked to Sarah, Amanda and Christopher but we weren't that close. That's probably because I was always with Lucas.

After I got off the phone with a client, Hazel called me.

"Hey, Kepner. How are you?" she asked.

"Since when did you call me Kepner?" I asked, remembering the fact that I'll be sleeping in my apartment alone at night.

Hmm.

"I don't know, it was just random." she simply said.

"Okay." I replied.

"Lucas left today, right?" she questioned.

"Yes, he did.", "Anyway, how are things at work?" I asked her.

"Work's fine and Adam even came to visit." she said. Adam is Hazel's older brother and he's kind of my ex. We never dated officially but had a situationship for a while. Adam and I soon realized that we were better off as friends and we're totally cool now.

"Oh, that's great. Say hi for me." I grinned.

"Come over and see him yourself. I'm working late tonight." she stated.

"Okay, see you soon."

"Bye, love you." Hazel said and hung up. I finished up and went to see Hazel and Adam.

I opened the door to her office and but I didn't see anyone there.

Suddenly, I felt a hand on my arm from behind.
I turned around to see Adam.

"Adam!" I smiled.

"April, how have you been?", "and don't say 'fine', tell me everything." he said.

"Uh, I wasn't doing so well in Chicago so I moved here and now I'm working here as a secretary but I plan on doing something more, though." I said a little too fast.

"Secretary? " he asked and took my hand to twirl me around, "You look great, a minute ago, I was sure as hell that you're a boss. Where do you work?" he asked.

"Lucetta." I said.

"Yeah and her boyfriend's the CEO." Hazel whispered as she walked in.

"Boyfriend, huh?"

"That's a story for another day." I chuckled, "So what are you doing here, anyway?" I questioned because Adam lived in Paris.

"Nothing much. I came to see my family." he stated.

"Oh, okay."

"I also wanted to see you, Bitey." he smirked.

"You did not just call me that. You are so immature." I laughed.

When Adam and I were in a situationship, there was a day when I kissed him and unintentionally bit his lip. Since then, he never wanted to let it go and started calling me 'Bitey'.

"Well, I-" Adam started to say but was interrupted by Hazel.

"I have to leave now to visit a client. Will you guys come with me then we could get dinner?" Hazel asked.

"Of course." I said and Adam nodded in agreement.

Hazel got her stuff and on the way to her client's house, my phone lit up. I saw that it was a text from Lucas and I smiled.

He told me that he had already settled into the hotel and asked about my day. I had to tell him that I was out with Hazel and her brother so I would call him when I got back home.

Thoughts on Adam??

next chapter: Want