Crush

Chapter 5

Lucas' POV

"Hey, April." Aaron said.
He had been coming to visit her everyday since I introduced them.

It wasn't hard to figure out the fact that he was basically in love with her.

But I'll call it a crush for now.

How annoying.

I came back to my office after a meeting to see them laughing together as he leaned in.

"Kepner." I called her.

"Sir?" she looked up at me.

"Photocopy the cost reports and bring them to my office."

"Sure."

She whispered something to Aaron then they both left.

April came into my office later to hand me the copies. She wanted to leave but I held her hand.

"Stay." I said.

She pulled away.

"No one's supposed to know that we're friends, remember?"

"That doesn't make any sense. I'm bored so just stay or will you rather spend time with loverboy there?" I chuckled.

"What?" she laughed and tucked her hair behind her ear.

"Aaron." I said.

"What about him?" she tried to play dumb.

I gave her a knowing look.

"Alright, I know he likes me." she sat down.

"You feel the same?"

"No, but he hasn't been very direct about his feelings so I'll keep things the way they are." she stated.

"Why?"

"He's the first friend I've made around here and it's only a matter of time before he confesses, I reject him and things may become awkward." she rested her head on my table.

"April, it's going to be okay. I don't think he's that immature." I chuckled.

After work ended, I left my office only to see Aaron and April together.

Again.

I signaled to her to come. Aaron was close enough to hear everything, though.

"Are you done with the schedule for the upcoming beauty campaign?"

"No. I'll finish it before I leave."

"Let's go home and finish it. I wanted to prepare it with you anyway."

"Sure, let me get my stuff."

I went downstairs to wait for her in the car but she was taking forever to come out.

I finally saw her walking towards the car.

"What took you so long?" I said as she put on her seatbelt.

"Aaron confessed to me." she said in a weak voice.

"So, what did you say?"

"What do you think? I rejected him while trying my best not to hurt him." she looked down.

"Atta girl." I chuckled.

"I feel bad." she said.

"Aaron's gonna be fine, I promise."

We got to our building after twenty minutes and I agreed to go to her apartment to work on the campaign schedule.

Once she got into her apartment, I heard her scream and naturally, I rushed there immediately.

April buried her face in her hands and I saw her brother, Ethan standing right there in her kitchen.

"Macey threw me out." he said.

"I don't care." she scoffed.

"Are you my sister's boyfriend?" he turned to me, completely ignoring his sister.

"No, we're just friends. I'm Lucas. I'm quite offended you don't remember me." I said.

"Uh.. I'm not sure where I've seen you." he stroked his chin.

"We went to high school together. Anyway-"

"How did you get into this place?" April said to him.

"I went to ask Hazel for your key." Ethan replied.

"Why would she give you my key?" April said under her breath.

"I'm staying at his apartment for few hours then I'll be back. You're leaving tomorrow." April said to him.

"To where?" he whined.

"Mom's house. Don't even think of convincing me otherwise." she said and took my hand as we left for my place.

"Why were you so mean to him?" I said.

"Just leave it alone, Lucas. You won't understand."

I remembered that Ethan and April were never very close and he didn't let go of any opportunity to get her into trouble.

Although, I thought that she would have forgiven him. He was just busy being a rebellious tween anyway.

"You want to eat something first?" I offered.

"No, thank you."

After I showered, I came out to see her sitting on the floor, already working.

She was continuously pushing her hair out of the way so I sat behind her to tie it.

"Thanks." she grinned.

Suddenly, we got texts from our phones at the same time and checked it.

There was a message from an unknown number on the company group chat for some employees in high positions.

"April Kepner isn't who she is. She's been trying to climb up the corporate ladder by using her feminine charm on the CEO of Lucetta, Lucas Calloway."

The message was followed by pictures of April and I.

I looked up at her only to see her looking at the floor, completely shocked.

I leaned in to hold her and she flinched.

"Lucas, why would someone do this to me?" she said in a low tone.

Then, I got a call from Matthew.

I wanted to ignore it but April answered the call and put it on speaker.

"Do you know if April has seen the message yet?"

"I'm not sure." I lied, looking at her.

"I think I know who did it."

"Who?" I was eager to find out who dared to do this to her.

"Aaron."

Lucas>>>>
Please Vote, Comment, Follow, Share..
next chapter: Thick Skin
Byeee^⁠‿^