SHOT 10

"Momma, can I go to Kamala chachi's house? Kiara di has come home for the weekend," Devangana asked her mother extra sweetly, wanting to go meet her childhood friend Kiara, who had recently gotten married and shifted to a different place.

"There is no need for that. Shut up and sit there. God knows what new problems you would create," Tripti said as she made snacks for the evening tea.

Devangana stared at her mother furiously, who in turn ignored her.

Devangana stomped her foot and stared at her mother, who still ignored her.

"You are overreacting, momma. You refused to let me go to the office. I accepted that. But how can you keep me locked inside the house? That's hardly fair. This is the twenty-first century, for God's sake. I have every right to live my life as I wish," Devangana protested at her mother's high-handed behaviour.

"Overreacting? You won't understand our worries now, Angana. You will understand this only when you become a mother. Because of your impulsive act, you ruined your reputation at that office. Your brother lost his job."

"They didn't fire bhaiyya. He quit the job."

"And what is the reason?"

"Yeah, blame it all on me."

"Stop fighting and pour this tea into those cups and take them to your papa and bhaiyya," Tripti ordered.

Devangana made a face and did as she was told.

They heard the doorbell ringing and wondered who it could be.

"Are we expecting guests, momma?" Devangana asked.

"Not that I know of. Let me go and see who it is," Tripti said and walked out of the kitchen after turning off the stove.

Devangana followed her mother and looked in horror at the sight.

Her boss, Sathvik Acharya, was standing in the living room with a sleeping Muskaan in his arms, next to a frowning Ishaan and a confused Indrajith Kashyap.

An elderly couple was also present, whom she figured must be his parents.

"Hello, Mr. and Mrs. Kashyap. I am Charan Acharya. This is my wife, Nilima Acharya, and our son, Sathvik Acharya," Charan introduced.

"Please take a seat," Indrajith Kashyap said, and their eyes widened in horror when the driver came in carrying different trays of gifts.

Sathvik closed his eyes in disbelief. He had planned to tell his father not to bring the gifts out until they had the talk with the Kashyaps.

Muskaan threw up on the way, and the topic skipped his mind.

"Mr. Kashyap, we would like to come directly to the point. Devangana and Ishaan must have filled you in on the circumstances and what happened in the office," Charan said.

"Yes."

"We would like to ask for your daughter's hand in marriage for our son," Charan said.

Devangana held her breath, waiting for the explosion.

Indrajith and Tripti shared a helpless look.

They had not really expected the family to come asking for Devangana's hand.

"Mr. Acharya—" Indrajith started to say.

"Charan, please. Now that we are going to be relatives, it would look awkward addressing each other so formally. I can call you Indrajith, right?" Charan asked with a polite smile.