Part 11 Being looked down upon

After serving Yao Yao a bowl of rice and feeding her, Sinen scooped up a mouthful of rice for herself. The aroma of the rice was so fragrant that Sinen almost swallowed her tongue. The rice in this era was soft, glutinous, and sweet, absolutely delightful!

Seeing her eat, Zhou Yuanshen also let go of his brother's hand and quickly ran over, his dirty little hands plopping onto the table as his eyes greedily stared at the red-cooked pork. Zhou Yuandong's eyes flashed with annoyance, but he also understood that his brother was a foodie who couldn't resist anything delicious, especially fragrant red-cooked pork.

"If you're hungry, go wash your hands and eat," Sinen glanced at the little guy with no self-control, feeling both amused and pitying. While feeding Yao Yao in her arms, she reminded him.

Yao Yao was delighted to see her brother too, extending her tender little hand as if inviting him to join her.

Tears welled up in Zhou Yuanshen's eyes, and he choked up, asking Sinen, "Can I really eat?"

Sinen nodded, "Of course you can. This is the meat your dad brought back for you. If you don't eat it, who will?"

Zhou Yuanshen immediately rushed into the kitchen like a gust of wind, scooping himself a big bowl of rice and even remembering to bring one for his big brother before hurriedly running back. He looked at Zhou Yuandong almost pleadingly, "Big brother, you should eat too."

Zhou Yuandong clenched his fists, hesitated for a long while, and then walked downstairs quietly, sitting down beside them.

Zhou Yuanshen took a piece of meat and almost cried from its tenderness; it melted in his mouth. He seemed ravenous, piling rice into his mouth and wiping away tears.

Sinen felt a bit uneasy for a moment. She knew these two brothers feared her. After quickly finishing her meal, she stood up with Yao Yao. She didn't like to eat too much late at night, especially greasy dishes like red-cooked pork, so she only sampled it.

As she stood up, Zhou Yuanshen almost dropped his chopsticks, still holding rice in his mouth, too afraid to look at her.

Taking a deep breath, Sinen said, "It's hot tonight. Remember to wash the dishes after eating. I'll take Yao Yao to bed tonight."

"Oh, and there are still quite a few buns left from today. I might not wake up early tomorrow morning. If you're hungry in the morning, steam them yourself."

With that, she turned and went upstairs. As soon as she left, the two brothers breathed a sigh of relief.

Without the nightlife of the 1980s, the quietness of the night could be unsettling. However, by 7 p.m., every household started to turn off their lights and go to bed. Twenty-something years later, this would be considered a pinnacle of discipline.

Yet, Sinen couldn't fall asleep. Little Bean had also slept a lot during the day and was now lying on the bed, playing with her teddy bear pillow. Little Bean had never seen such a thing before and was thoroughly enjoying it. But children loved to sleep, so it wasn't long before she fell asleep hugging the pillow. Sinen covered her with a blanket and sat down at the table to read.

There was quite a gap between the knowledge of this era and the future, but since Sinen was a graduate from a prestigious school, it wasn't too difficult for her. Mainly, she just wanted to pass the time since sleeping right after eating wasn't good.

After reading for who knows how long, Sinen yawned and got up to fetch her pajamas, ready to sleep. The original owner's pajamas were made of silk, with a cool texture that felt very comfortable. No wonder she was so reluctant to leave. Now it seemed there was a reason for that.

Just as she took off her clothes, the door suddenly opened. Sinen exclaimed and quickly covered her body. The intruder swiftly retreated, closing the door forcefully, and a deep voice came from outside, "Sorry!"

A faint smell of alcohol lingered in the air. Zhou Yuanshen had been drinking? Sinen blushed, embarrassed. In her previous life, she had never even held hands with a man, and now, on the second day of her transmigration, she was exposed. Although she guessed it wasn't intentional, she still felt uncomfortable.

Stay calm, stay calm. It's just being seen once, it's not like anyone died. Sinen patted her flushed face and quickly dressed. Fortunately, the nightgown of this era was quite conservative. Aside from short sleeves, the dress was long enough to reach the feet.

Sinen gathered her courage and opened the door. Standing outside was a tall and slender man. His profile exuded calmness, with a straight posture. Sensing her opening the door, he turned his head slightly, his deep gaze sharp and intense, filled with depth.

Sinen was momentarily fixed in place, finding it difficult to breathe. This man was indeed as terrifying as described in the novel, difficult to approach.

"Sorry, I had a bit to drink and forgot about giving you the room," Zhou Yuanshen turned around, straightened his body, extinguishing the cigarette in his hand. His sharp features alternated between light and shadow under the lamplight, his towering figure like a mountain in front of Sinen.

There was a hint of apology on his face. He had been busy all day and only returned late at night after being dragged out for drinks. His mind was a bit foggy, and he subconsciously pushed open the door, only to spot the figure standing in the center of the room.

Shocked, Zhou Yuanshen's alcohol-induced haze dissipated instantly. He remembered that Sinen had come to him today.

Feeling he had offended the girl, he also felt sorry. Recalling the scene just now, he wished he could dig a hole with his toes and burrow into it. Bracing himself, he said, "It's... It's okay."

"Why are you still up so late? Can't sleep?" Zhou Yuanshen had been drinking, and there was a slight scent of alcohol on him, but it wasn't unpleasant, nor did it carry the typical odor of a man's sweat.

Sinen replied, "No, I was just reading for a while. I didn't expect you to come back. Are you hungry? Do you want me to make you something to eat?"

Zhou Yuanshen glanced at her a few more times. In the dim light, the girl stood gracefully before him, her black hair cascading down her shoulders. Her features were exquisite and dignified, her skin delicate and fair, not a single pore visible.

She was wearing a nightgown made of fine fabric, adorned with simple yet elegant patterns. Despite wearing pajamas, her demeanor was exceptionally refined. Slim and graceful, she exuded an ethereal charm.

Would such a beautiful girl be willing to marry him? Zhou Yuanshen wasn't someone who didn't know his own worth. Although he had earned money from his factory in recent years, he had taken in his sister's three children to raise, and he wasn't young anymore. At thirty years old, without plans for children in the future, how many women would accept him?

"No need, I've already eaten," Zhou Yuanshen nodded slightly, his words concise.

"Alright..." Sinen was speechless. Perhaps because of the more than ten-year age gap, she found it difficult to find a topic of conversation.

Zhou Yuanshen seemed to sense her embarrassment and took the initiative to say, "Although I don't know why you came to me, I'll give you a week. If you regret it within this week, you can leave anytime. After a week, we'll go get the marriage certificate."

"Don't worry, during this time, I won't touch you," Zhou Yuanshen's voice was gentle, with a hint of reassurance, as if he was worried that she would be afraid because of the accident tonight.

"I won't be home much during this time. If you mind, I won't come back this week."