39.

I sighed. I didn't know what else to do—how to act on everything Cailean was saying. "Referring to me as a weapon feels so... Limiting," I said after a gnawing silence had grown between us. "It's wrong and dehumanizing."

Cailean shook his head. "It's liberating, Sari," he said, openly disagreeing and shoving my feelings aside. It made my blood whirl. "You have not yet grown into your full potential, but I am sure Aven will get you there. Once you fully Ascend into what you can become, you would be unstoppable."

I crossed my arms over my chest and my shoulders tensed, trying to keep the chills from covering my back. "No one has any way of knowing what I can become," I replied, a gentle reminder that while he may be smart—he had no idea what he was talking about. He didn't know what happened between me and Sariranyasa, or anything else I hadn't shared with anyone but Lotta.

Or did he?

He couldn't know, because no one could be unstoppable. Even our Moons hadn't been—and I was nothing in comparison to them.

He only hmm-ed, amused at my denial. 

Before he could say anything else, I told him, "Aven needs me to be somewhere right now. So I will leave you now, but I hope you enjoy the rest of your morning walk, Cailean."

It felt strange saying his name—and for a second, I felt scared, because it felt wrong to say his name, to address him as anything other than his title. 

And then he offered me a genuine smile, that only terrified me more. "Very well," he said. "Don't go too far."

Before I could ask myself what he meant, I turned around and walked away, and left the eternally young man behind me in the gardens.

The sun was rising well over the horizon, bathing its surroundings in a soft warmth. It contrasted against the chills I still felt, and I could not seem to shake after my encounter with Cailean. 

I'd decided to shove my thoughts aside—they made no sense anyway—and shortly after I had left Cailean, I had made my way to the training field.

It was crowded as usual, though one side of the field remained quite empty. It was only when I reached closer, that I saw why.

Lotta and Feytan were sparring—and no one in their right mind dared come close.

Watching them was hypnotizing. Their movements were fluid yet powerful, as they performed a dance of lashing out and evading, of kicking and ducking, of throwing hits but evading just as many.

I had never seen either of them so sweaty, and the sweat was accompanied by blood dripping from their faces and fists. Most of the blood was dried already, and many of the wounds had started healing.

"Come to watch me beat up Feytan's ass?" Lotta panted, as she saw me nearing in her peripheral view. She never took her eyes off Feytan, which seemed like a very good idea.