38.

"Sari, I have been looking for you," Cailean said.

I stopped right outside the Manor, only a few steps away from where Mallee's corpse was still rotting. I hadn't seen the Alpha since all that had transpired yesterday, and I had been thankful for it.

Yet a small part of me had always expected he would seek me out again.

"Alpha," I said, accompanied by a subtle bow of my head.

"There is no need for such formalities," Cailean replied, gracefulness coming through in every syllable. "Are we not equals?"

I couldn't help my eyes from widening and my face from turning fully to him. "I don't know what you mean," I said, though I had the feeling we both knew that was a lie.

Cailean hummed and chuckled, as he reached out his arm. "Yes, you do," he said, as I looped my hand around his arm. "Do me the pleasure of accompanying me on my morning walk?"

"Of course," I replied, and I tried to copy his lightfulness in my words.

Cailean led me in the direction of the gardens, to the calmer parts where barely anyone was present. The Sun came through more and more every day, blessing us with its warmth as it descended on Zyama in golden rays that gave color to the world around us.

Most people were busy in the tents stationed next to the Manor, or in the city itself and paid no attention to the rest of the garden.

The walk was quiet until we reached a clear space in the gardens, still far away enough from the edging woods so any eavesdropper could be easily spotted. I was sure I was the only one out of the both of us who found this silence unbearable and uncomfortable, and I was even more sure that Cailean knew what kind of effect he had on me.

"A lot has happened since we last met," Cailean said at last, breaking the tense quietness that encircled me. "Tell me, how have you been?"

Just like always, I could never tell what his true intentions were with this conversation—he was dancing around his purpose, and I felt like I was stumbling over my feet.

"It has been an adjustment," I said. I needed to be just as careful with my words—but I also could not lie. Which Cailean was very much aware of.

Cailean made a small noise, and I couldn't decipher whether it was disapproving or not. "Sometimes I find people confuse adjustment with meeting their fate, growing into something they were always meant to be."

My heart stopped, and I looked sideways. His hair flowed over his shoulders and waved a little bit in the gentle wind. He looked so soft and gentle and kind, but I knew that was a facade, a mask he wore each day and perhaps never took off. "You know," I said.

The corners of his mouth turned upwards. "I know a lot of things, Sari."

I turned my head back, facing the trees in the distance. "How did you know Mallee ordered the murders of your men?"

"Intuition, I suppose," he answered. "If I may be entirely truthful with you, Sari, I had only theorized about it. But her reaction to the accusation yesterday told me enough."

I raised my eyebrows, and I quickly hoped he hadn't seen it. "You went to Aven with such an accusation without even being sure?"

I expected his smile to falter with every word I said, but it never did. "Ah, but you see, whether I was right or not about that particular detail, she was responsible. They were killed on her grounds—thus making her responsible. I just didn't know if she had given the order to kill them."

"It still feels like a gamble," I said.

Cailean laughed. "I do not gamble, Sari, not when there is so much at stake. Mallee is not an adequate ally to have—let alone Alpha. Whatever led to what happened yesterday, I think we can both agree it is a good riddance."