6.

The first thing I felt, was peace. The gentle water hugged me, made me feel safe, warm, loved, cared about, alive. Serenity was the only thing I felt, the pure bliss of finally having no cares anymore, no worries, no pain.

The second thing I felt, was burning in my lungs. My insides were scorching—my chest, my neck, my face.

I had to get up, I had to get out, and my arms frantically started splattering, looking for the surface as my body kept being dragged down.

I was pushing against the force—if it was pulling me down, the other way was up.

My lungs were aching, burning, scorching, stinging, and I couldn't breathe, I couldn't breathe, I couldn't breathe.

I was frantic, I needed to get up, I needed to breathe, but everything around me was black, like a sky without stars or our Moon.

Up, up, up, up, up. I kept pushing against that pull, keeping the bottom of the pool away, but my body felt so heavy, and my arms and legs grew so tired.

But the pain was overpowering, I needed to get out. Get out, get out, get out, get out, get out. I wasn't dying, I was suffering, I was in pain, and I was alone in this water. No one was coming to save me, I had to do it myself.

I kept pushing and pushing, swimming and swimming but the surface didn't come.

I needed to breathe. My lungs were going to explode, I needed to breathe. I needed to, I needed to, I couldn't hold it anymore.

My hands kept trying to reach for the surface, my feet kept trying to stomp the bottom away, my lungs were going to-

And there it finally was, in the corner of my eyes. White light started blurring in—the surface was there. I was going to make it, I was going to make it, I was going to breathe.

But it was so far, still.

And then a shadow appeared in the light, a shadow of a person—someone was here, someone had come, someone was saving me.

My hands shot up, trying to close the gap with the surface but it was still so far away.

The shadow saw me—save me, help me, pull me out.

A hand of the shadow broke through the surface, and reached for mine—but I couldn't reach it, I couldn't reach it, I couldn't reach it and I couldn't breathe.

But I had to.

And as the burning slowly faded away, the edges of light turned black once more and the world around me disappeared.

Everything was quiet. The burning in my chest had stopped, the panic had ebbed away and all I felt was the peaceful quietness of wherever I was. I heard nothing, I smelled nothing, I saw nothing, I felt nothing, I was nothing.

Feeling was the first thing flowing back into me. My face felt comfortable, my hands were touching something soft, my body was melting away in a familiar squishy padding. I felt like a puddle of nothingness, floating away in eternity.