Chapter 34: Consequences

The next day dawned with a sense of urgency lingering in the air, Joshua and Michael found themselves back on duty patrolling the streets of Crestwood as part of their usual police work, despite the routine nature of their duties, their minds were preoccupied with thoughts of Rache and the looming threat it posed to their town.

As they drove through the quiet streets, their eyes scanned the surroundings for any signs of trouble, but their thoughts kept drifting back to the ancient book they had retrieved from the prison and the threat of Rache, they couldn't shake the feeling that time was running out, and they needed to trap him before it was too late.

Meanwhile Tyler dedicated his off-time to delving deeper into the book's mysteries and the lure around Rache, accompanied by Emma, Hannah, and Lindsey, They all gathered in a makeshift research corner, surrounded by piles of books borrowed from the local library and a computer for researching.

Their task was still haunting at them but they were determined to uncover the truth about what sacrifice was needed and what words to speak and how to stop Rache, Tyler meticulously translated each line, while Emma cross-referenced historical texts and demonology journals for any relevant information. Hannah and Lindsey scoured the internet for obscure references and ancient rituals that might provide clues to Rache's origins and weaknesses.

Hours passed in a blur as they poured over all the information, outside, the sun was sitting once more as day turned into night, Joshua and Michael wrapped up their patrol and returned to the station to check out of work, their minds still racing with thoughts of the looming threat.

Joshua and Michael then were called into the chief of police office to be talked with, the two looked at each other with worry as they made their way to the office.

Chief James sat behind his desk his expression stern and his voice firm as he addressed Joshua and Michael.

"Sit down, both of you" he commanded gesturing to the chairs in front of his desk. Joshua and Michael exchanged worried glances before obeying their hearts sinking with each passing moment.

"You two have some explaining to do because I'm up to my neck in paperwork and trouble and FBI calls" Chief James began his tone serious "Several reports have come in about you two conducting unauthorized investigations around Crestwood University and the apparently the damn Crestwood Insane Asylum."

Joshua and Michael's stomachs churned with apprehension as they listened to Chief James's words they knew they had been taking risks by pursuing their own investigation but they had believed it was necessary to protect the town.

"I'm sorry Chief" Joshua spoke up his voice tinged with regret "But we now have a reason to believe that there is a dangerous entity at play in Crestwood and we are just trying to uncover the truth to protect the town."

Chief James's expression remained impassive as he listened to Joshua's explanation
"I understand your intentions, but I can assure you it's not an entity, but the fact remains that you violated protocol and put yourselves and others at risk" he stated firmly "As a result I have no choice but to suspend both of you from duty for the next month without pay."

Joshua and Michael's hearts sank at the news They had been prepared for consequences but the reality of being suspended hit them hard.

"But Chief we couldn't just sit back and do nothing, we're onto something now because of that research" Michael protested desperation creeping into his voice "We know there's something sinister happening in Crestwood and we're closer than ever to stopping it."

Chief James held up a hand to silence Michael "I've made my decision" he said firmly "You'll both be turning in your badges and guns before you leave this office, right now."

Joshua and Michael exchanged resigned glances, knowing that further arguing would be futile, with heavy hearts they stood up from their chairs and made their way to Chief James's desk silently placing their badges and guns on the polished surface.

As they turned to leave the office Chief James's voice rang out behind them "This is non-negotiable" he stated firmly "You both need to take this time to reflect on your actions and consider the consequences of your reckless behavior, and maybe next time you'll listen to me when I tell you orders."

With a heavy weight on their shoulders Joshua and Michael left Chief James's office their heads bowed in defeat, they knew that they had no choice but to accept the consequences of their actions but they also knew that they couldn't simply sit idly by while the town of Crestwood was in danger.

The tension in the room was palpable as Tyler, Emma, Hannah, and Lindsey continued their research into the ancient book and Rache. They were deep in concentration searching for any clue that might help them stop the demon.

Suddenly the door to their makeshift research corner swung open and Joshua and Michael entered, their expressions heavy with resignation, the group looked up, sensing immediately that something was amiss.

Tyler spoke up first his voice filled with concern "What's wrong? What happened?" He asked with a sigh assuming the worst.

Joshua and Michael exchanged a somber glance before Joshua spoke up "We've been suspended from our police work." he announced his voice tinged with regret "Chief James found out about our investigations and he's not happy, we're off duty for the next month."

The group fell silent the weight of their situation pressing down on them like a heavy blanket, but they had come too far in the research  to stop now over this.

"Well we can't just give up over that." Tyler declared his voice filled with determination "We'll find a way to stop Rache, with or without your badges."

Emma nodded in agreement, her eyes shining with resolve "Tyler's right" she said "We've come too far to let this setback stop us, we'll keep researching all night and keep looking for answers, we made a lot of progress tonight and think we know how to stop him."

Joshua smiled lightly and nodded
"You're right, we need to focus on Rache it's the bigger picture, and we can end it together."

Together they returned to their research now all together, Joshua and Michael may have been suspended from duty but their fight was far from over.