Chapter 20: A Slap To The Face

The early morning continued shining over Crestwood University through another tragedy  as Hannah, Lindsey, and Emma approached the campus in the car, however, the trip was met with a grim sight of FBI vehicles lining the streets and agents everywhere, their presence overwhelming while concerned parents ushered their children away from the campus grounds seeking safety amid the chaos happening.

Hannah squeezed Lindsey's hand tightly her face showing concern
"How are we supposed to get past all of this?" she questioned her voice showing uncertainty.

Lindsey shook her head, her lips drawn into a thoughtful frown
"I'm not sure, my guess is as good as yours." she admitted her gaze scanning the scene before them.

As they navigated through the crowd of people Emma's sharp eyes caught sight of a familiar person among the sea of agents, her heart skipped a beat as she recognized him, it was Tyler her now ex-boyfriend.

Without hesitation Emma excused herself from Hannah and Lindsey
"Guys I'll be right back."
Her determination evident as she hurried over to Tyler.

"Tyler, hey" Emma called out her voice carrying a sense of urgency.

Tyler's expression shifted to surprise as he turned to face her. "Emma hey uh" he replied tersely his tone guarded
"I'm working right now, you shouldn't be here, and neither should your friends."

Emma's gaze softened as she pleaded with him "Tyler please I know that you're aware one of the girls who died was my cousin Ashley and I'm just trying to find some answers for her."

But Tyler remained unmoved his tone firm but letting out a sigh
"Look I know losing a loved one is hard but we're not dumb kids anymore you can't just go and investigate this is dangerous and you could be hurt" he insisted his voice tinged with concern. "You need to leave before you get hurt."

Emma persisted her desperation growing with each passing moment as she begged
"Please Tyler just give me a chance she meant a lot to me and you know I can help this case just the other night with Joshua and Michael I helped get information from a guy that no fed could." she urged her eyes pleading

Tyler sighed rolling his eyes annoyed
"Yeah those two shouldn't be doing this either, thanks for reporting that, but I don't care what information you get from randoms, we the FBI can handle this and get all the info we need and solve it and get your cousin and the others peace, but I need you to leave before I have to report you for trespassing."

Hannah unable to contain her frustration stepped forward, her voice dripping with disdain "Hey Detective dickhead, Emma's just trying to get some help from you, there's no need to be such an asshole about it" she spat, her anger palpable.

Tyler's jaw clenched as he turned his attention to Hannah
"Hannah what are you doing here?" his tone laced with annoyance "And why are you defending Emma? I thought you two hated each other."

Emma interjected her tone firm
"Yeah you're right, me and Hannah did kind of hate each other but we were still friends in the end and it was years ago, we're past that and people can grow and change, boy can people change."

But Tyler's patience wore thin his frustration evident in his voice
"This is your last warning leave now or I'll have to report you for trespassing." he threatened his tone cold and final.

Defeated Emma sighed, her shoulders slumping in resignation
"Alright we'll go, I'm sorry I was always an inconvenience to your life Tyler."
she muttered her disappointment was evident.

As Emma and Lindsey retreated to the car, Hannah's frustration boiled over with a sharp slap across the face of Tyler she lashed out at him.

"You're a fucking prick Tyler!" She yelled her voice trembling with fury. "Maybe if you could actually care about people for once instead of your job you wouldn't be a lonely sad bastard maybe the only real reason you're obsessed with work is because you cheated on your girlfriend and you don't wanna face hard feelings!"

But Tyler's response was swift and violent with a forceful shove he pushed Hannah to the ground his eyes blazing with rage
"Don't touch me again or you'll be in prison you haven't changed a bit you still have a raging loud mouth, you don't know about me or what I go through, I made one mistake cheating on Emma and that's not even why we broke up, learn facts before you speak to me, now leave before I arrest you."

Lindsey rushed to Hannah's aid her heart pounding with fear and anger
"Don't you dare touch her!" she cried her voice trembling with fury.

As Tyler reached for his phone the girls knew they had to leave before the situation escalated further, with heavy hearts they climbed back into the car their minds reeling from the encounter.

As they drove away from the chaos of it all, Hannah turned to Emma her concern shown in her eyes "Are you okay?" she asked softly
"I'm sorry I snapped back there, I shouldn't have touched him, that's not who I am, but I couldn't sit there and let that cheating two faced non caring prick not even care a bit to try and help you, I mean you saved his life and this is how he repays you."

Emma offered her a weak smile her eyes glistening with unshed tears
"I'm fine, Hannah, it's just... he's not the same guy I fell in love with, I miss how things used to be, before he slept with that other girl, before he got obsessed with work, before he quit showing any emotions."

Lindsey sensing Emma's distress with her therapist background reached out a comforting hand
"Do you want to talk about it? I'm here to listen if you need it." she asked gently her voice filled with empathy.

Emma hesitated for a moment before nodding slowly
"Yeah" she replied softly
"There's probably a lot i should let you guys know about everything."

As the car rolled on Emma began to recount a story from her past a tale of love, betrayal, and heartache and as her words filled the air the girls listened intently their hearts heavy with empathy and understanding.