Chapter 31: What May Lay Inside

As they stood outside Juan's house tension hung thick in the air, the group exchanged nervous glances waiting anxiously for a response to their knock but after a few minutes of silence, Joshua broke the silent waiting.

"I'm going to bust in and see what's going on, it shouldn't take this long to open a door." Joshua declared, his voice firm with determination.

Michael nodded in agreement
"Yeah, if Juan's in trouble we need to act fast, we're on borrowed time, I'll help you bust it down."

But Tyler interjected his face showing concern. "Guys, I'm not sure that's a good idea, we could get in trouble for breaking and entering without a warrant, we should come back later and look for clues elsewhere while we wait."

Joshua replied back
"This is our only lead and if we're dealing with a demon of revenge we don't have time to be waiting."

Emma her voice edged with urgency sided with Joshua
"He's right, we need answers fast, we can't afford to wait around, just do it, Joshua."

Hannah and Lindsey nodded in agreement as well their apprehension mounting with each passing moment.

Tyler sighed and resigned to the group's decision "Fine, but let's make it quick."

With resolve Joshua knocked again announcing their entrance
"We're coming in!" before forcefully pushing open the door alongside Michael, the group filed into the house their senses on high alert as they surveyed the interior.

The living room greeted them with an eerie quietness, illuminated by the flickering glow of the TV playing old shows, A bowl of noodles sat untouched on the coffee table the noodles now limp and cold suggesting they had been there for some time.

"Is anyone home?" Michael called out his voice echoing through the house "We're here to help."

But there was no response the silence that followed amplifying their unease.

Undeterred the group pressed on, as they ventured deeper into the house, the mystery of Juan's whereabouts would soon be solved.

Emma stepped forward, her voice breaking the silence "Maybe we should split up into three groups to cover more ground, we won't be alone but each group can search different areas of the house to be faster."

Hannah and Lindsey nodded in agreement relieved to have a plan in place "That sounds like a good idea Emma, we can search the upstairs together" Hannah suggested.

Lindsey chimed in "Yeah we can stick together and we'll start with the bedrooms and move from there if the rest isn't already searched."

Michael and Joshua exchanged a knowing look before nodding in agreement
"We'll start with the bathroom and kitchen," Michael suggested

Emma turned to Tyler, her gaze seeking confirmation "So, Tyler you and I can search the halls, living room and dining room, right?"

Tyler nodded "Yeah, that works for me, let's do it."

Inside the bathroom Joshua and Michael began their search scouring the cabinets and shelves for any signs of Juan or clues that might shed light on his whereabouts or involvement, Michael rifled through the cabinets pulling out toothpaste, razors and basic hygiene products, but nothing seemed out of the ordinary.

Meanwhile Joshua knelt down to inspect the floors, sifting through dirty towels and clothes in search of anything that might offer a clue
However all he found was the evidence of neglect and disarray.

Frustrated with their lack of findings Joshua stood up and sighed running a hand through his hair "Looks like there's nothing here besides the lack of using a washing machine." he remarked, his voice tinged with disappointment.

Michael nodded in agreement closing the cabinet doors "Yeah it seems like Juan hasn't been here in a while"

Joshua turned to Michael, his expression determined "We need to figure out our next move, if we don't find anything then we can't waste any more time here."

Michael nodded his mind racing with possibilities "Agreed, We should regroup with the others and come up with a plan" he suggested already turning towards the door to exit the bathroom.

Joshua and Michael made their way from the bathroom to the kitchen passing by Emma and Tyler who were searching the living room for any sign of Juan or clues that might lead them to him.

Entering the kitchen Joshua and Michael surveyed the scene before them, the kitchen was cluttered with unwashed dishes piled high in the sink, trash strewn across the countertops and a musty smell lingered in the air, despite their thorough search, they found nothing of significance.

Disappointed but undeterred they left the kitchen and rejoined Emma and Tyler in the living room where the atmosphere was heavy with frustration and uncertainty.

Tyler sighed as he sank into an old worn-out armchair "So far the halls and dining room didn't hold anything of value so the living room here is our last bet" he remarked his voice filled with disappointment.

Emma nodded in agreement her expression deep in concentration "Yeah, but so far it just seems like an unkempt mess somebody didn't take care of like everything else in this house." she observed her tone reflecting their growing sense of frustration.

As they discussed their next steps Michael's voice cut through the air his tone reflective. "This guy's life seemed kind of sad, honestly," he mused his gaze sweeping over the cluttered room "It seemed lonely and everything is a mess all these rooms, and just him living in this big mess with nobody around him"

The group fell silent for a moment the weight of Michael's words hanging heavy in the air they couldn't help but feel a pang of empathy for Juan, wondering what had led him to live in such isolation and neglect.

Though their conversation and search was about to be interrupted by a piercing scream that echoed through the house sending shivers down their spines.

Joshua's heart leaped into his throat as he exchanged panicked glances with the others "That sounded like Hannah or Lindsey" he exclaimed his voice trembling with concern

Without hesitation they bolted up the stairs their footsteps thundering against the creaky floorboards as they raced to find their friends as they passed by two empty bedrooms their anxiety only heightened.

Finally they reached an open doorway at the end of the upstairs hall and the group caught sight of Hannah's back facing away from them her posture tense with fear.