Chapter 3: Duty Calls

As Joshua and Michael entered Chief James' office they were greeted by a stern yet welcoming expression.

"Welcome in, have a seat, boys."
Chief James gestured towards the chairs.

Michael and Joshua took seats across from the chief.

Joshua ever direct spoke up
"What did you need that you texted me about sir?"

Chief James leaned back in his chair with a grave expression on his face.
"Okay good, I thought you'd never ask. We're low on officers right now, and we need two guys brave enough to patrol Tarrant Street. There's been a surge in crime lately over there, and you two seem like the perfect fit for the job, what do you think?"

Glances exchanged between Michael and Joshua and they knew that declining wasn't an option with the chief of police, Michael responded "We can do that, I don't think it will be much worse than our current route, will it be the same hours and times?"

Chief James coughed while drinking his coffee
"Well, about that I'm also assigning you both to work overtime for the next week while patrolling Tarrant until we can get the crime to a lower rate, but don't worry you'll both be paid accordingly and well."

Joshua sighed, concern etched on his face.
"Sir, I know crime is high there and you need guys to stay late into the night when crime happens, but I have a wife and kid. I can't just—"

Chief James cut him off abruptly
"I have a family too Joshua, but I still do my job, and I work very hard at it if I might add, and I did your job for over 40 years while supporting a family, You will do what I tell you to do or turn in your badge, I don't want to be the bad guy here but you have to obey orders and do your job."

Michael intervened trying to ease the tension. "It'll be okay. I can take over at times if it's needed Joshua."

Joshua nodded, reluctantly accepting the situation.
"Understood sir, when do we need to go to Tarrant exactly?"

Chief James spoke decisively
"Today I need you over there in the next hour, it's why having both of you here early was essential."

With a firm agreement Joshua and Michael left the chiefs office, their minds already preparing for the challenges awaiting them on Tarrant Street.

They made their way to the cruiser as Michael got into the driver seat and Joshua climbed into shotgun next to him

As the police cruiser rolled through the city streets towards Tarrant the atmosphere inside was a mix of anticipation and concern.

Michael breaking the silence while driving decided to strike up a conversation.

"So Joshua how's Isabelle and the kid doing? It's been a while since we've caught up outside of work honestly."

Joshua leaned back in his seat, a thoughtful expression on his face.
"She's doing well Michael, we've been closer than ever, but tell me how's your life going, I feel like we always talk about mine."

Michael laughed
"afraid of me bringing up the trouble Pete's gonna cause when he grows up?"

Joshua chuckled
"Let's hope not too much trouble, I've got enough of that on the streets already."

Michael then spoke
"But, if you want to know, I've just been lonely honestly after college, well after me and Raquel broke up, I was with Jasmin, Maria, Delia, but nobody feels right, I wish I could find a happy relationship like you managed to."

Joshua understanding placing a hand on Michael's shoulder
"You'll find the right girl, it just takes time, after I lost Kayla I rushed into a relationship with Hannah and it wasn't the right move, and it took another 4 years after that to meet Isabelle, trust the process and let it come to you."

Michael smiled some
"I guess you're right, it just feels lonely being the only single guy in our friend group, you know?"

The radio in the police car crackled to life interrupting their conversation.
"Attention Unit 12, we have a Two-Eleven home invasion at 764 Tarrant, Please respond immediately."

Michael's grip tightened on the steering wheel as he spoke into the radio
"Unit 12 responding, we're on our way."

The mood in the car shifted instantly, and the two officers prepared for what they might face in their first encounter awaiting them on Tarrant Street.

Joshua voiced his concerns
"We need to be prepared for anything, home invasions can get dangerous quickly, let's make sure our approach is right and we don't just rush in before we scout the area."

Michael nodded in agreement
"Absolutely, we need to prioritize safety and ensure we handle the situation with caution."

As they approached the address the tension in the car heightened.

The police cruiser pulled up to the house and both Joshua and Michael got out, guns drawn as they walked quietly around the house to see if they could see anyone inside, both of them were ready to face whatever awaited them inside.

The suspense hung in the air leaving the outcome of the home invasion uncertain.