Chapter 12: Let's Go To Prison

As Michael drove Joshua to the police station the next day the tension in the car was palpable both men were lost in their own thoughts, grappling with the events of the previous day and the implications of Ashley's murder.

Joshua broke the silence his voice heavy with determination
"We need to talk to Chief James and tell him we want to go to the prison where Matt and Kevin are, we have to confirm if they broke out or not and might not have a lot of time."

Michael nodded in agreement his grip tightening on the steering wheel
"Agreed if they're out we need to find them before they hurt anyone else."

The weight of their mission hung heavy in the air as they pulled up to the police station ready to talk to the chief about the situation.

As Joshua and Michael entered the police station, they were greeted by the familiar hustle and bustle of the busy precinct Chief James was in his office and they wasted no time in seeking him out.

"Chief James we need to talk" Joshua said as they entered the office his tone serious and determined.

James looked up from his desk his expression reflecting the gravity of the situation. "What's on your mind Joshua? you better make this quick I'm very busy today."

Joshua took a deep breath gathering his thoughts before speaking
"Michael and I want to use our day off and come into work to investigate the prison where Matt and Kevin are held we need to confirm if they broke out or not."

James regarded them for a moment, his face showing lots of thought
"It's risky and potentially a waste of time Joshua, we could just check with their warden later today to know, but given your history with those two I understand your concern."

Michael spoke up his voice firm
"We have to do this Chief If they're out there they could pose a serious threat to the community and everyone we know, there's a chance they might've targeted Ashley on purpose if she's related to Emma."

James nodded his expression grave
"Alright i'll authorize it but be careful out there. I don't want to lose any more officers."

As they left James' office, Joshua turned to Michael a sense of determination burning in his eyes.

"We'll find out the truth Michael "we'll know today whether they're responsible or not." he said his voice filled with resolve.

Michael nodded
"We'll get to the bottom of this Joshua together."

As Joshua and Michael pulled up to the Crestwood prison the imposing structure that held Kevin and Matt, Stepping out of the car they squared their shoulders ready to confront whatever news awaited them inside.

Presenting their badges to the officers on duty they stated their purpose to speak with two prisoners who were suspects in the murder case that happened yesterday,
Michael spoke
"We're here to speak with two prisoners you have here their names are Matt Johnson and Kevin Stewart they were arrested 10 years ago for cases of murder."

The officers nodded in acknowledgment and knew where to find them, now leading them through the halls of the prison.

Finally they reached the cell block where Kevin and Matt were housed. Peering through the bars Joshua and Michael locked eyes with the two men inside confirming that they had not escaped.

Taking a deep breath Joshua addressed them "Kevin, Matt we need to talk to you about a murder that happened yesterday at Crestwood University."

Kevin smirked his tone dripping with disdain "What's it to us we can't murder any more bitches while in here?" he retorted his voice laced with arrogance.

Joshua's jaw clenched struggling to maintain his composure in the face of the two men who brought back long lost feelings of rage
"You're suspects Kevin. We need to know if you have any information that could help us solve this case, we know you didn't kill them yourselves now, but we need to know if you know who might've."

Matt leaned back against the wall a sneer playing on his lips
"Why should we help you Joshy? You ruined our lives, you're the reason we're in here and not making millions playing ball." he taunted his words laced with bitterness.

Joshua's patience wore thin frustration bubbling beneath the surface
"This isn't about us Matt, It's about finding justice for the victim who just died"

Kevin interrupted
"We don't know anything that's been happening and who made you two doofus bozos into police anyhow."

Before he could press further Joshua's phone rang interrupting the tense standoff glancing at the caller ID he saw it was Chief James.

Answering the call Joshua listened intently as James delivered the grim news.
"Joshua, Another student was just murdered at Crestwood University again in broad daylight by way of stabbing, just like yesterday, once again we don't think we have a witness, we need you two to head down to the college and ask as many people as you can if they seem anything."

The revelation sent a chill down Joshua's spine his mind racing with the implications. As he hung up the phone.he exchanged a sobering glance with Michael.

"We need to get back to Crestwood University now Michael, another murder just happened, I don't think these two assholes in the cell know anything." Joshua said his voice tinged with urgency.

Michael in shock
"Again? This is bad, really bad."

Kevin laughed
"I hope they get you two killed next."

Matt chimed in laughing
"Bro burn!"

As the two high fived.

Joshua and Michael walked back through the prison halls ignoring the two, they had to leave and head to the campus to find out what was going on and who just met their unfortunate fate.