Chapter 7: Fish Everywhere

Later that night the rhythmic sound of rain tapping against the window created a soothing backdrop, alone in his bedroom Michael laid on his bed watching a silly game show on the television, the soft glow of the screen illuminated the room casting a nostalgic ambiance.

As raindrops continued to land on the windowpane, Michael's gaze shifted to a framed photograph on his bedside table, In the picture was a younger version of himself, Emma, Tyler, Joshua, Kayla, and Hannah all hanging out and having fun, frozen in time during their high school days at Crestwood High, the memories flowed from the photo to his mind.

A wave of emotion washed over Michael as he thought to himself
"Man those days we were all so close and hung out every day, then Kayla passed and we drifted some but never broke apart, college was a time where we came together even more but it seems like after graduation, me and Joshua went to chase being officer's, Hannah dipped on us to focus on herself, Tyler vanished in his work and Emma hasn't been heard of since her and Tyler broke up, now it seems like Joshua and me are the only ones left, I hope Hannah really is going to be around more now though that we met again."

The rain outside seemed to echo the pensive mood in the room and Michael found himself lost in the quiet contemplation of how time had woven its threads through the fabric of their friendships, the glow of the television illuminated his face revealing a hint of longing for the feeling that once defined those high school days in Crestwood.

As the night before Pete's 4th birthday descended upon them, Joshua and Isabelle found themselves immersed in the enchanting world of fish-themed party preparations. The living room underwent a magical transformation bathed in the glow of string lights that mimicked the stars shimmering over an underwater kingdom.

Blue and green streamers hung across the walls resembling seaweed swaying in the ocean's gentle currents, delightful fish-shaped balloons floated across the room and many gifts in some underwater wrapping paper, the living room and a large banner proudly announced
"Happy Birthday Pete!" as the centerpiece of the underwater wonderland.

Isabelle her hands deftly working set a table covered in a fish-printed tablecloth for an array of snacks and treats awaited to be placed tomorrow from fish-shaped cookies to a vibrant blue punch that mimicked the ocean's water, The pièce de résistance was a beautifully crafted fish-shaped cake its surface covered with sprinkles and candles poised for the next day's celebration.

As they meticulously arranged each detail Joshua couldn't contain his excitement.
"Can you believe our little Pete is turning 4 tomorrow? I just know he's gonna love this party you put together."

Isabelle grinned placing a fish-shaped cupcake on the table. "Hey you helped too, it's our project together and we both put the work in, but our little man is growing up so fast soon he'll be off to pre-school."

Joshua sighed a mix of pride and nostalgia in his voice.
"Speaking of work Michael and I wrapped up our week on Tarrant Street, Chief James was pleased with our work but we've got another assignment now for some Vandalism at Maplewood Park"

Isabelle raised an eyebrow
"Vandalism? Well, at least it's not as intense as Tarrant Street right?"

Joshua nodded
"True but it keeps us on our toes, just earlier today we caught a homeless man urinating in the park fountain, it wasn't a sight you want to see."

Isabelle in shock
"Oh my god, in the Maplewood fountain? That's so terrible."

Joshua continued
"Anyway remember Hannah the girl I dated for a year in college and my groups old friend? She's back in town and me and Michael ran into her during the Tarrant Street assignment and she wants to talk with you some and get to know you and meet Pete."

Isabelle paused a hint of curiosity in her eyes "Hannah? How's she doing? It's been years since we saw her."

Joshua chuckled, setting up fish-shaped party hats.
"She's doing okay. Apparently, she's in a relationship with her old therapist Lindsey. They're both coming to Pete's party and are going to bring a gift along."

Isabelle looked pleasantly surprised.
"Really? Well that's great, it'll be nice to catch up and I'm sure Pete will enjoy having a new aunt in the picture to give him gifts."

With the decorations in place they took a moment to sit on the sofa surrounded by the festive ambiance, Joshua smiled, looking at the fish-themed decorations
"Pete is going to love this, i can't wait to see his face when he walks in tomorrow morning."

Isabelle leaned against him taking a break from the preparations
"It's going to be a great day and don't worry about work you and Michael make a fantastic team, plus you've got me here to help lighten the load."

Joshua grinned wrapping his arm around Isabelle
"I know and I'm grateful for that. You make everything brighter Isabelle."

Isabelle playfully nudged him
"Well, it's a team effort."

The night held the promise of dreams and anticipation as the decorations sparkled creating a magical atmosphere for Pete's upcoming birthday.