Chapter 2: Slice Of Pie

In the quiet of his bedroom Joshua laying in bed was recounting the events of the day to his wife Isabelle.
The soft glow of the bedside lamp casted a warm ambiance as he shared the details of the recent intervention in the high school parking lot.

"So Michael and I had to break up a fight today" Joshua chuckled shaking his head.
"Two teenage boys going at it over a girl, reminded me of when I almost fought Michael in my young years, you know?"

Isabelle laughed her eyes reflecting the gentle humor of the moment.
"Teen boys can be so silly and chaotic, it's a good thing you and Michael were there to set them straight."

Joshua grinned
"Yeah it's all part of the job, I guess I can't judge them too much though."

Isabelle while still smiling
"I'm glad I didn't meet you during your younger days when you were wild, I'm very happy with how you are now."

Joshua joined in agreement
"Yeah me too i was filled with a lot of uncontrolled emotions back then."

With a gentle touch Joshua reached for Isabelle's hand intertwining their fingers, embodying the strength of their partnership.

The framed photographs in their bedroom was witness to their evolution from the early days of spontaneous adventures together to the more recent milestones that defined their life together. Isabelle's eyes lingered on one particular photo capturing their wedding day with Tyler an old friend doing bunny ears behind Joshua's head.

"I wouldn't change a thing." Isabelle whispered her gaze returning to Joshua.

He met her eyes with a soft smile grateful for the journey they navigated together.
"Neither would I, every step, every challenge it all led us to this, my past led me to this moment with an amazing wife and kid and home and a great job with my best friend."

As they lay in the quiet sanctuary of their bedroom the night embraced them with a sense of peace.
The world outside faded away leaving only the comforting presence of each other.

The next morning Joshua awoke to the soft glow of dawn filtering through the curtains. Isabelle leaned over planting a morning kiss on his cheek "Good Morning sleepyhead."

Joshua smiled as he stood up
"Morning babe."

Isabelle handing him two slices of apple pie.
"Here you go this is your lunch today, but this one" she pointed to one of the slices "is strictly for Michael, let the poor boy try one."

Joshua laughed taking the slices. "Got it. No touchy Michael."

Isabelle laughed
"No let him try one!"

As he made his way downstairs Joshua entered the kitchen to find his three-year-old son Pete, already at the table eating some pancakes.

"Daddy!" Pete exclaimed arms outstretched.

Joshua scooped him up giving him a tight hug and a kiss.
"I'll see you later tonight Petey take care of your mother while me and your uncle Michael take care of all the bad guys outside and make things safe for you."

Isabelle chuckled
"Don't worry Pete here is already a big boy and can handle as much as his dad can." She said adding a touch of sarcasm.

Just as Joshua was about to head out
Michael was outside honking his car horn impatiently.
"Come on, just like old times me waiting and driving you around."

Joshua laughed
"Oh, screw you! I drove you around yesterday! It's only fair it's your turn today! Maybe I'll just eat this extra apple pie slice myself since it's like that."

Michael with a smirk continued to honk.
"Hey, no I'm sorry buddy! Not the pie!"

Joshua mockingly motioned his mouth at the pie before hopping into the car and handing the slice to Michael.

Michael laughed
"Finally, the long awaited famous apple pie."

In the car as they drove towards the police station the comfortable banter continued.

"You know Petey's starting pre-school soon once he turns 4 it's crazy how fast they grow up it feels like just yesterday me, you and the whole old gang were at my wedding and then a year later Petey came along, and now it's been almost 4 years since he was born." Joshua mentioned looking out of the window.

Michael grinned.
"Time flies huh? Seems like just yesterday we were dealing with high school drama and college chaos and now you're a dad with a kid about to be going to school."

"Yeah" Joshua nodded "Life keeps moving forward, by the way the Chief wants to speak to us, he texted me to come into his office when we arrive at the station I wonder what that's about."

Michael raised an eyebrow.
"The Chief? He probably just wants to commend us for our fantastic skills at stopping teen boys fighting over girls" he teased.

Joshua chuckled
"Or maybe he has some new assignment for us. Let's hope it's not too complicated, I could use a quiet day for once."

As they pulled into the police station anticipation lingered about the meeting with James the chief of police.

Michael parked his car into the garage as two other officers Nicholas and Amy Waved
"Morning Joshua, Michael"

Michael and Joshua in sync waved back
"Morning guys."

They both made their way to the COP office to speak with James about whatever it was he texted Joshua about.