Chapter 15: What's Inside

After carefully documenting the broken cellphone found behind the building Tyler took it to the forensic laboratory for analysis later that night, the first step was to examine the exterior of the device for any visible clues that might provide insight into its origin or recent use.

Upon closer inspection the cellphone obviously was severely damaged with its screen shattered and several components missing or broken, it was evident that the device had been subjected to significant force likely intentionally damaged to prevent any potential evidence from being retrieved but why leave it at the crime scene.

Tyler's team attempted to extract DNA samples from the cellphone's surface, but the results came back negative, there were no viable DNA traces present, indicating that whoever handled the device had taken precautions to avoid leaving behind any identifiable biological material.

With traditional forensic methods yielding limited results, Tyler decided to take a different approach, he focused on trying to reconstruct the cellphone's internal components and access its digital data.

Using specialized equipment and software, Tyler painstakingly worked to repair the cellphone replacing damaged parts and reassembling the device to the best of his abilities, despite his efforts some components were irreparably damaged making the reconstruction process challenging.

Once the cellphone was restored to a functional state Tyler attempted to power it on and access its contents, however it quickly became apparent that the device was protected by encryption or security measures, preventing unauthorized access to its data.

Undeterred though Tyler employed advanced hacking techniques and software tools to bypass the security measures and gain access to the cellphone's files and applications. After several hours of intense effort trying to hack in he managed to breach the device's security and access its internal storage.

However to his disappointment after several hours of work, the cellphone contained no useful evidence or information related to the murders at Crestwood University. The perpetrator had likely taken precautions to erase or encrypt any potentially incriminating data before disposing of the device or it was just an old phone in bad shape.

Despite the setback Tyler remained determined to uncover the truth, he knew that even the smallest clue could lead to a breakthrough in the investigation.

Joshua sat on the edge of the bed his shoulders heavy with the weight of the day's events, another murder and a not so great run in with his old friend, Isabelle perceptive as always noticed the somber expression on his face and sat down beside him offering a comforting presence.

"Rough day?" she asked softly her voice filled with concern.

Joshua let out a weary sigh running a hand through his hair before turning to face her "Yeah it was" he admitted his voice tinged with exhaustion. "We went back to Crestwood University again, it was another murder for the second straight day and this time they left a message about Kevin and Matt, it wasn't them though, we talked to them in the prison, and we ran into Tyler and Emma of all people while at the crime scene, but both were different times."

Isabelle's face showing confusion. "Tyler and Emma I thought you hadn't seen them in years what were they doing there?"

Joshua shook his head a hint of frustration creeping into his voice.
"You know Tyler's with the FBI now well, we got orders to quit the case from higher ups, He caught us snooping around the crime scene and practically ordered us to leave, It's like he's a completely different person, he didn't care to talk to us Isabelle, he didn't even want to hear us out or offer any help, it's like he wanted us gone."

Isabelle reached out, placing a comforting hand on Joshua's arm
"I'm sorry, love that must have been difficult for you considering your history with him, I remember him being around a lot when we first met."

Joshua nodded, a mixture of emotions swirling inside him
"Yeah, it was i mean, we were practically all family back in the day and now... now it's like we're strangers, we also talked to Emma and she's really torn up her cousin died yesterday in one of the murders, she offered to help our case if we needed it."

Isabelle leaned in closer her eyes filled with empathy
"That's awful I hope she's doing okay, but back to Tyler maybe he's just caught up in his work I know he was really into it, even you know how demanding that can be you have had to miss quite a bit of life due to work, It doesn't excuse his behavior or lack of being around entirely but maybe he's not entirely to blame, there's always more than one side to a story."

Joshua sighed as he contemplated Isabelle's words
"Yeah, you're probably right, i guess I just miss the way things used to be you know? Before all the chaos and the darkness happened and before we all drifted apart, I know Michael definitely does too."

Isabelle squeezed his hand gently offering him a reassuring smile
"I know love but we can't change the past, all we can do is focus on the present and the future and make the most of the moments we have together nothing is worth staying mad at forever, you should check on him and see if you can fix things sometime, if he's not at work he might be morr open to listening."

Joshua met her gaze with gratitude
"You might be right Isabelle, thank you for always being here for me even when things get tough."

Isabelle leaned in pressing a kiss to his cheek "Always Joshua we're in everything together no matter what, and of course I'm right " she said with a laugh.

As they sat together in the quiet of their bedroom the warmth of their love enveloped them offering solace and strength in the face of life's uncertainties and changes, Joshua felt a glimmer of hope amidst the darkness of the situation knowing that with Isabelle and Michael and others by his side he could weather any storm that came his way.