Year 9, Day 275

A/N: For those of you who follow me on other social media or have seen my recent posts here, you know I've had a tough few days, but because I promised to deliver at least a chapter a week, here's me making good on that promise. 

I hope you'll like it, and if you do, don't forget to vote and comment or share this to your friends. We're already 26 chapters in, with 4 more to go, and I could only give you a massive virtual hug for all the support Will and Bobby got (and will get). Thanks and happy reading, guys!

***

It was the last I saw my Bobby.

He missed school today, said he wasn't feeling too well. I offered to stay home and take care of him - I didn't trust him alone with his parents since the incident a month ago, but he refused. Bobby was worried I was gonna miss another pop quiz from Math class, I already missed a few when he was at the hospital. Unlike me, Bobby was a Math whiz, so he could make it up some other way. I couldn't.

I remembered sitting on the edge of his bed this morning, asking if I could get him anything after class and if he was sure he didn't want me to stay. He just laughed it off and answered, "I would let you stay, but I'd rather you pass Math."

"Why?" I was clearly whining. My willingness to stay, despite being mostly for Bobby, wasn't entirely selfless. I really hated that class, and it hated me just as much. "Who needs it anyway?"

"Uhm, engineers, architects, physicists-" Bobby was enjoying my misery, obviously.

"You know what I mean, smartass." I retorted, shoving him lightly. He used to wince even at simple nudges like that a week or two ago, but he's doing much better now.

He laughed even harder.

That laugh.

Bobby scooted over and looked at me.

That look.

"Just hurry home after, okay?" I nodded as he he kissed my forehead.

That kiss.

Knowing I couldn't win this argument to skip class, I stood up and trudged my heavy feet to the door. It felt miserable leaving him, even with the promise of seeing him in a few hours. I wasn't a happy camper 'til...

"Hey Will," he called.

"Huh?" I turned, waiting for him to say something before I head out.

"I love you."

And here, even after months of hearing it, is  where I melt into a  puddle

"Love you too, Bobby. See you later?"

Who knew later meant a lot longer than I thought?

When I was walking home today, I noticed a van parked outside Bobby's place.

A van?

His father drives a pick-up and his mom, well, she doesn't have a car. I couldn't explain why then, but my heart started to race. Something was not right; they never had people over, not ones with their own cars at least. They couldn't have bought a new car, and no one would loan them one.

As I got closer, I saw figures huddled beside it - Bobby's parents, I think, and two men towering over someone. Were they selling the house or something? 

Despite how painful it would have been to see his family move, I'd choose that any day instead of what happened next. I knew that when I finally saw Bobby's almost limp form thrashing from the between the two bulky men as they tried to shove him in the van.

"No, please! Please, Momma. Please! Don't do this, please," he begged. I was a good two or three blocks from them, but I heard him.

"Will! Will! Help me, please! Momma, don't." He was frantic now, his voice quivering. I knew Bobby couldn't see me - none of the group by the van noticed me yet; he was calling me out of pure desperation. 

Shit! 

Where the hell is everyone - Mr. Dawson, Mrs. Spiels, even Haley from two houses over? I was sure half the neighborhood wasn't deaf to this, but not one of them attempted to help him.

"Bobby!" I screamed as loud as possibly could, and started running towards him. When they saw me, one of the men forcefully shut the door, locking Bobby in, while the other raced to the driver's seat. It was as if they were waiting for me to come running, and they were told exactly what to do.

Even as I ran with every inch of strength I had in me, I knew I wasn't going to make it, and I was cursing at everything - my decision to leave this morning, my subpar running, his parents, our neighbors... everything.

Tears blurred my vision as I approached Bobby's house, the van already a few hundred meters away. Even with my back to them, I felt his parents piercing stare, disgusted. Despite all they did to him, I never hated them, not until they said, 

"He's gonna get better now."