Year 3, Day 5

A/N: Because I have the best readers in the world (yes, even the silent ones), I know you've already figured out that Day Zero was the day Bobby and Will met, and everyday after that is measured against it. It was the day.

The coming chapters will follow the journey of our two boys as they grow up in a world with no cupboards to hold them captive or rings to burden them, but where a a prejudiced society questions a relationship so pure and honest only because it's foreign

This is where their someday starts.

***

"Will!"

"Bobby?"

"Will!"

"What?"

"No! Don't touch it!"

"Touch what?"

"You know what."

"Honey, stop touching Bobby's cookies just because yours won't rise." Mom tried her best to suppress her laughter as she stared at my half-risen 'chocolate chip cookies'. I sighed, dejected. I was no good at this.

"It's okay honey," Mom said, kissing me on the forehead. "You'll get it next time."

"You said that the last 5,000 times."

"And I'll keep saying it until you get it or want to keep doing it, okay?" Meet my Mom, the ever-encouraging Jane. She just won't give up on me, even my hopeless case of baking mishaps, and I've had a lot.

I read in Science class that raging hormones will make us irritable at this age, but I can never really be irritated at Mom, at least not for a very long time. Her smile melts my heart too much, well as much as...

"Will!"

Bobby.

"Will?"

Bobby?

"Will," he said much softer this time. He slowly shook me when I was still quiet and motionless.

"Huh?" Half asking him; half asking myself.

"Your cookies are burning," Bobby said in between snorts and laughter.

Ha-ha, very funny. This is what I get for daydreaming: burnt cookies and that laugh. Oh well, I've always liked his laugh.