020||best friend worries

Brystal awoke with a start at the sound of a communication device beeping

Brystal awoke with a start at the sound of a communication device beeping. She blinked groggily, finding herself wrapped in Jim's arms. She hadn't remembered when she'd gotten on her bed in the first place. She couldn't remember much of what happened after her parents death. All she knew was that she cried and wept over her parents death.

Images of the shards of glass and blood shrouded her mind.

The shattering glass.

John Harrison's eye, piercing his gaze at them.

How vulnerable she'd looked. Her emotions not kept well, and showed every inch of what she was feeling. She liked it better when she was neutral or had a smile, always kept people guessing.

The certain sense of dread that filled her from her parents deaths. How she had barely dragged herself away from the bodies before she broke down into tears. They were both dead, it was almost to unreal.

The communicator began to beep demanding them both to wake up. Jim woke up, and Brystal moved her weight off him, allowing him to reach the communicator. Jim took the communicator off from the nightstand, groggily opening it.

"Yeah?" Jim asked through the communicator, rubbing his eyes.

"Jim!" Scotty's voice erupted from the small communicator, "I found something in the wreckage. You are not going to believe what I found!"

The day was crisp, brushed with a pale blue sky and lazy sunlight in a golden hue. Workers were extracting metal, and clearing significantly big pieces of rubble from the other night out of the away. Brystal shielded her eyes with her hand from the sun as Jim held her hand tightly, guiding her through the rubble.

Jim stopped as soon as he saw Scotty, who was holding a large piece of metal. Spock halted behind them, but his look when he saw Brystal seemed to change. Almost like he actually felt sorry for her. Brystal turned her attention back to Scotty, puzzling over Spock's look on his face.

"Mr. Scott, please tell me you have a good lead on what the hell happened last night," Jim said to Scotty.

"Captain! I found this in the crash jumpship, sir. This is how the bastard got away!" Scotty said, handing Jim the large device. Brystal examined the device, carefully. The piece of metal was damaged and mangaled, slightly scorched by flames, but it was easy to see parts of the metal were still intact.

"What do you mean?" Jim asked, confused to what he was even holding, cocking his head to one side.

"It's a portable transwarp beaming device," Scotty explained. Brystal looked at the piece of machinery again, realizing that Scotty was correct.