1 8

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

✩ ✩ ✩

Twilight emerged from being the now set sun and a full moon hung delicately in a tauntingly cloudless night sky. Beautiful stars dotted around the dark canvas, illuminating it as though they were miniature fireflies.

Silence foamed through the bedroom, thanks to the automated window which blocked out the screams of the partygoers in the streets who would most likely stay up all night, preparing for the following days Hunger Games.

Tossing and turning was she upon her luxurious bed, in no such position could she find comfort in that particular night.

Perhaps it was the knowledge that tonight may just be the last night of which she was granted the chance to sleep which kept her in such a state of alert. Or perhaps it was the dreadfully vivid images which floated inside of her mind of the weeks to come, if she were lucky enough to survive that long. Or perhaps it was the possibility that she may just be slaughtered in just a mere couple of hours time.

Either of the options were viable, but the reasons were insignificant to the pressing reality that Odelya could not sleep. Without seeing any other resolution to her problems, she slipped out of her bed, wrapped herself in a silken gown and made her way to the main quarters.

Sitting down upon the couch, Odelya flicked through the channels on the television until she found a replay of the tributes interviews from earlier on that day. Of course, Apollo's interview had been watched live by her, the most he said was that he had volunteered to bring glory to his family name.

However, little Florence's interview was something of which she hadn't watched and bless her heart, did she light up the audience as she graced the stage with her presence.

When asked if she had any final messages before her interview ended, only four words emerged from her little mouth, "I love you, Papa."

This was quite enough for her and she turned off the television in the same haste manner of which it had been switched on. As though on a timer, the moment she clicked the off button the lift doors opened and so entered Finnick Odair into the room.

He looked rather dishevelled, with lipstick stains on his collar and tears trickling down his face silently.

"My Sun?" Odelya announced herself to the boy, who but the way he jumped, hand not yet noticed her. "Are you alright?"

"Fine," He mumbled, in a tone which suggested he most certainly was not what he said. "Just fine."

"No you are not," She stood up and made her way at over to him quickly, "Why are you crying, Finn."

"I'm not," He spoked quietly.

"Then why are there tears streaming down your face?" Odelya replied shortly.

"Allergies," He responded in a similar tone.

"To what, exactly?"

For just a brief moment, the words forced prostitution were on the very tip of Finnick's tongue but he stopped himself just before it escaped his lips. Despite the enormity of his trust for the beautiful mermaid, her problems at this moment greatly outweighed his. At least he could be of help to her, there was nothing she nor anybody could do to help him.

"Life," Finnick gave his vague response and Odelya pulled him into a tight hug of which drowned out the pain in his head and replaced it with a fluttering feeling in his feeling in his stomach which was hers alone to alight inside him.

"I'm allergic to life too."

Finnick chuckled, still not pulling away from her tight embrace, if he could have it his way, she would forever remain in his arms. He had forever wished for her to live in such a place, ever so close to his heart and nothing was more desired by him that to protect her from the horror that shrouded so much of her life.

"What are you up so late, my mermaid?"

"I'm just so scared, Finn," Odelya responded in a voice which sounded as though she were desperately trying to remain strong, despite being on the verge of tears.

He whispered sweet nothings and words of reassurance into her ear until she had seemingly calmed down, this comforting action also seemed to distract him from his own feelings of sadness.

Finnick just knew in that moment that the love he experienced for the pretty mermaid on his first day of school was not just merely one of friendship and that nothing would stand between him and the ability to protect her.

"I promise that I will never let anything terrible happen to you, Dely," Finnick swore.

"But what about Apollo," Odelya murmured, "And little Florence, my victory would guarantee their deaths. I can't just let them die, but I am much too scared to die either."

"The only person in that arena of whom you need to protect is yourself," Finnick tried to make her remember, but thoughts of protecting her allies overwhelmed his reminders.

Odelya had such a loyal soul and despite her fear she would much rather be sent to an early death than to betray those who had placed such a deep trust in her.

"You really need to get some sleep, pretty mermaid," Finnick mumbled in her ear, as they were both still yet to withdrawal from their hug.

"Can you stay with me tonight?" Odelya asked, rather nervous of his impending response but in such a great need of solace that only he could provide her.

These words ringed in Finnick's ears and he wished she would repeat them until the end of time.

"Of course, my Dely."

With that, for the first and possibly last time, they fell asleep together on the comfortable sofa, entangled in each other's arms. In that moment, they both remembered what to be at home felt like.

✩ ✩ ✩

Please vote, comment and share.

I love you to the stars.