1 5

CHAPTER FIFTEEN

✩ ✩ ✩

Sunlight shone across the rooftop of which was encased with a beautiful blanket of nighttime darkness. Such a darling planetary sight was christened with the fitting name of Finnick Odair.

"I hope you're not looking for a quick escape, my pretty mermaid," Finnick murmured softly, "I must admit that I tried for one before my games. They have the roof fit with a state of the art forcefield to stop us from escaping this hellhole."

Such news had been previously unbeknownst to her and despite Odelya's grave concerns regarding his comment she brushed over it due to his frequented discomfort regarding the discussion of his first visit to the Capitol.

"I am just trying to clear my head a little, the last few days have been quite the whirlwind," Odelya mumbled.

"Would you like some company?" He offered.

"Always from you, my darling sunshine," Odelya replied with a slight smile.

Walking up to her left side, he leaned slightly against the railing which topped the wall and gazed did he upon the city of which he so deeply detested.

"Dely, I would give any of Poseidon's earth stolen possessions to have you freed from this cycle of destruction and misery," Finnick said.

"Such troubles of mine are not yours to bear," Odelya responded, turning to face his ethereal face.

"You know how deeply I adore you, mermaid," Finnick justified, "And until my final breath shall I fight for you to survive and return to my arms."

"And I for you my darling Finn," Odelya spoke, "Any goodness in this world remains in your heart and it delights me to be so often so close to such a beautiful brightness."

Finnick smiled, deciding to change the topic of conversation slightly with a question of which had been weighing on his mind for the longest of times, "Do you remember our first day of school?"

"Of course," Odelya replied, in slight confusion, "How could I forget a day filled with such wonder and potential."

"Such a day I can remember so vividly, for I met just the prettiest of girls. I personally believe that was the day of which I fell in love."

"Oh yeah?" Odelya asked, with a slight edge of foreign jealousy in her voice, "I don't seem to recall such a beautiful girl. What was she like?"

"Perfect," Finnick smiled in reminiscence, "She was just so perfect, still is. If I had but a mere grain of sand for every moment of which I thought of her then I could walk along my beach forevermore."

"Such a poet you are Finn," Odelya giggled.

"I was lining up with my Papa, before his boat went down, and I spotted this girl in the line just to the left of me. Oh, the dress she was wearing was nothing short of exquisite, the work of the Capitol is but nothing in comparison to the talents of her darling hands. I was just heartbroken when she told me that she had given up tailoring to work upon the bloody pier.

Such a dress was blue and embroidered with periwinkles and bluebells and the pretty girl wore her hair in two braids with dainty bows fastened at the bottom of both. The ends of her dress were soaked, as though she had spent her morning by the beach. Which I just knew she had, for she is truly the most beautiful mermaid."

In that moment, something clicked in Odelya's mind and for the first time in forever the world came into focus and she could finally breathe.

"Most like was she admiring the sun," Odelya responded with a warm sensation filling her heart, "I assume such a girl has always adored the sun. Why had you not spoke such pretty words to this girl previously."

"I had eventually worked up the courage to and I was going to pull her aside after the reaping."

Odelya finished for him without a doubt in her mind for how his sentence would finish, "But you instead got reaped."

"Unfortunately. Then I figured that if I could become victorious in the games and go back to Four then she would have to go out with me. There was no chance she could deny me if I was a victor."

"But you still didn't."

"No, I didn't. Prior to my return to Four I realised the great shame that being a victor imprints upon your soul. I was just so excited to see my pretty mermaid again but she was not at the train station. Her brother and sister died in the games two before mine and I figured her being there would have brought up unwanted memories."

Melody and Orion's deaths caused her to avoid the train station where they had been sent to their deaths at all costs. Despite her desperation to see her most beloved sunlight upon his return.

"She had always felt more like home than anywhere ever had," Finnick said delicately, "I've always such a strange feeling in my body when I'm with her, as though she fuels my every being. Without her, I am but a boy of whom's heart is stained with the blood of those he had slaughtered."

"Don't dare speak of yourself in such a manner, my darling Finn," Odelya instructed, "I am positive that your mermaid would have helped you to understand that such acts you committed in the arena could in no way differ her opinion of you. If you had have let her."

"She would be the only person who could have helped me to know such things. It's too bad the pretty mermaid got reaped also, maybe in a few more years I would have worked up the courage for us to be something special."

"Mermaid's and Sunshine will always be something special."

✩ ✩ ✩

I think this is but my favourite chapter yet.

Please vote, comment and share.

I love you to the stars.