2 1

CHAPTER TWENTY ONE

✩ ✩ ✩

In the heart of the frozen forest was where the Careers had tactically placed their Camp. Foxtail pine trees were near unclimbable, especially in such a cold climate, so their heart reflective sleeping bags had been arrange in such a way where at least one of the allies could see in every direction, in way of preventing sneak attacks.

Odelya, of whom was particularly skilled in knot tying after years of working upon the pier back in District Four, had set up a rather elaborate pulley system in a specifically aggressive looking tree. Said system would aid them in lifting their supplies high into the air, where they had decided would be a safe storage place if they so needed to make a quick getaway.

Despite the obvious fact that she would much rather be taking care of Apollo and Florence, Odelya had to admit that for such bloodthirsty children, the Careers were not overly terrible company. However, a pine cone would be decent company under such dreadful circumstances.

A watch system had been set up for nighttime: Three would sleep and the remaining two would keep alert, sitting back to back in way of preventing attacks from opposite directions.

Currently, it was nightfall upon the second day of the Hunger Games and they had settled into their sleeping bags under the anticipation of watching the ceremonial projection of the fallen on the night sky. No additional cannons had sounded yet that day, so there would be no faces introduced that night.

However, the sound of heavy footsteps in the snow stirred all of the Careers from their state of a foreign relaxation. Upon this, all drew their weapons from inside of their sleeping bags and stood on guard, as the boy from Seven crept up, his back turned, and tried to steal some of their food.

Her fellow Careers had rather sadistic tendencies and the smiles on their faces so heavily reflected this. Mars led the pack by tackling the innocent child to the ground and tantalisingly running his sword up the length of the younger boys body.

Odelya remembered him from the tribute training, his specific age remained forgotten but he looked no older than fourteen - his name was as what she remembered. Aire.

He would have a family, also, like all the others who once lay deceased in that arena. Such who would be forced to watch, as her allies tortured the poor thing to death. His screams would reverberate through the ears, just as they did hers - but such pained sounds caused his name to be called by his two allies and their footsteps came rushing through the snow.

"Aire!"

The final words to escape from Aire's mutilated throat before it was slit were, "Marcella! Xerxes!"

Such stated were the female tribute from Nine and the male tribute from three and their fates would soon be identical to that of their ally if Odelya did not intervene. Both Marcella and Xerxes would most certainly die that night, there was no doubt in Odelya's mind of that, but mercy was a concept she knew something of. Instead of letting such brutality snuff out the two innocent lives, the District Four tribute took it upon herself to deliver both of them a swift bludgeon to the head.

Six. Seven.

At least the died quickly. That was of little comfort to Odelya, however, for they were added to her tally of murders and their names would haunt her nightmares until the day of which she died.

Congratulated was she by the Careers on her accomplishments and she was rewarded with the final watch, so she could rest her weary head upon a ground cushioned with freezing snow.

Perhaps, if her sense of mercy was reflected upon her allies, they would kill her in her sleep. However, this could not be the case as such horrendous scenes of the past couple of days plagued her mind and prevented her from falling into any such state of unconscious peace.

Yet, Odelya would need to continue in pretending to be asleep, hopefully in order to gain information by eavesdropping on those from District Two, who gossiped carelessly whilst on their watch.

"Why are you insisting upon keeping her around?" Pansy murmured, "Mars, you know she is nothing special."

"She had got connections with some of the other tributes," Mars responded, "Be patient. If we wait long enough she'll lead us straight to her District partner and that little girl from Twelve."

"Poor innocent Florence," Pansy cooed mockingly, "I would love to drive my spear through her skull and carve out her heart with my knife."

Mars merely laughed in response, which incensed Odelya with a great anger even more than his partners words. Her plan needed to be set into action immediately; or such terrible deeds had the chance of being carried out. Despite her wanting to return home to Reign, Florence would win these Games. Both her and Apollo had made that rather clear to each other when they made allies with the little flower.

Yet, for her plan to be one of success, she would need to remain waiting in her faux state of sleep. One reason being that if Mars and Pansy were aware that she had overheard their conversation she would most surely meet her end. The other being that momentarily her shoulder would be shaken ever so unnecessarily aggressively by Pansy and for her to mutter the words.

"Your turn for watch, Four."

✩ ✩ ✩

Please vote, comment and share.

I love you to the stars.