26 - Lucky Charms

The restaurant where I'm meeting Nate for lunch is on Park Avenue, and it's filled with white collars. The space is huge, spread over half a block, and has high, arched ceilings. This is new for me. I don't always go to formal restaurants where executives wine and dine. But being the sports editor, I guess Nates knows all kinds of places.

The light music playing in the background reminds me of the elevators of decent hotels. The clattering of utensils and murmurs of the customers echo all around the space, making it feel fuller than it really is.

I hang my coat over my arm, and fix my red, turtleneck sweater. Christmas is around the corner, and I'm feeling the spirit. We all need a splash of color in the city, right? Especially when it's dark and gloomy outside in December.

Walking around the tables, I crane my neck to find Nate... And there he is! He stands up when our eyes meet, and shoots me a grin across the room. Is that...? Fuck is that a plastic tooth? I pull the turtleneck over my mouth not to burst out laughing. Yes it is! His new tooth is longer, and whiter compared to his other teeth. His swollen lip seems better, and the bruises around his eye has faded into a lighter shade, which is a relief. And yeah... He looks great in a black v-neck sweater with his white shirt's collars sticking out. The dark fabric makes the green in his eyes spark and pop.

"Welcome back to the city!" Nate greets me with open arms, and I run into them. Giving me a tight hug, he lands a kiss at the top of my head. Then he introduces me to his friend who slowly rises from his chair. "This is Eric. My estate agent and soon-to-be ex-neighbor."

Damn, I thought Nate was tall, but next to Eric, he seems like a kid. Eric is super-tall, but not intimidating—thanks to his warm and genuine smile.

Nate continues while I shake Eric's hand, "I filled Eric in with all he needs to know. He's ready to show you a couple of apartments this afternoon."

"Wow! That's fast!" I say as I take a seat around the table, between the gentlemen.

"I have a couple of places that made me think of Nate the moment we hung up the phone," Eric says, crossing his legs. "We are looking for a three-bedroom apartment with a terrace, a view, and a big closet..."

"Yeah, about that," I say, then turn to Nate. "What if you don't like what I like?"

"Then I won't make an offer." Nate shrugs with a smile, and I press my lips together to stiffle my laughter. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad he can smile without wincing in pain, but God—he looks like a cartoon character with that plastic tooth!

Nate chuckles when he notices where I'm staring at. "Eyes up here, buddy." He points at his eyes with a fake furrow, then chuckles. "You'll be jealous of my new tooth when doc pops it on Wednesday."

"Sorry." I pout, caressing his hand.

"The only thing I'm sorry about is not kissing you that night. I doubt you'll let me kiss you anytime soon."

My cheeks start burning immediately as my gaze falls on the glass of water in front of me. I let go of Nate's hand to touch my ear. Nate is right. I have some healing to do.

"So, Abby," says Eric and snaps my attention back to him. "Anything else you want to add to Nate's criteria?"

"Something south-facing would be nice...right?" I turn to Nate for assurance, and he nods. "That way, he'd always have natural light."

"Noted. You afraid of heights?" Eric asks.

"Nope, not at all." I grab the menu and wiggle in my place. What am I supposed to say, anyway? It's not like I'm moving in with him.

Nate takes the menu out of my hands, turns the right side up, and hands it back to me. Now, my cheeks flare even more.

"Why don't you show her what you have, Eric? We'll go from there," Nate suggests.