19 - Perspective

"It is a big event, Abby," Dad sighs, loosening his bowtie. "Maybe we should go back home—"

"Yeah, let's go home." I shrug.

Every shiny corner of this hotel reeks of class with crystal chandeliers, white stone statues, colorful flower arrangements, and hints of sandalwood in the air. Frankly, I couldn't care less about the glam. I don't even want to be here, at the Rhode & Carter charity event tonight. If the dean hadn't begged me to accompany Dad, I'd be editing a couple of ads or even better—lying on my bed giving Rocky belly rubs. However, I'm on a mission tonight, and my job is to be Dad's antimissile, his very own bodyguard, who'll steer the conversation away the awkward compliments and personal questions... That is if we stay.

Well, I guess we won't.

I grab the long skirt of my black, satin dress and start walking away from the elevator.

"But the dean!" Dad runs after me and touches my arm before I reach the lobby. "The dean's expecting me inside, Abby."

"What do you want to do, Dad?" My arms fling open as I turn around. "I'm here for you. You decide what we're doing tonight. Do you want to go back home or stay here?"

Dad fixes his disheveled gray hair and stares over his shoulder toward the elevator hall. I can feel the battle in his head, but I can't make up his mind for him. We are here because he made the world a better place by curing an incurable disease. Dad being here tonight will raise awareness and give hope to families who are waiting for treatment.

"We came all the way, didn't we?" He finally lifts his shoulders.

"This doesn't mean that we have to stay."

Dad shoots me a shy smile, then loops my hand into his arm. "We'll stay for an hour, then head home."

Wow. Had I known that I could persuade Dad by simply agreeing with him instead of reasoning, I could have saved myself countless arguments. I return his smile with a subtle grin, and lead him back to the elevators.

"You look beautiful," he says once the doors close, and makes me blush.

"Thanks, Dad." It's rare to get a compliment from him. But I did put a lot of effort to look my best tonight. I went to the hair-dresser to have my hair tied in a high bun, then I spent hours doing smokey makeup to accentuate my blue eyes. This black, satin dress with a deep opening in the back is brand new, too.

After spending a month in sweatpants, I wanted to look hot for a change. That's all...

Okay, shoot me for it—but I also want Roman to see what he can't have. God, I hope I can keep it together, though. I'm here for Dad. Not Roman...

The doors chime open on the top floor, and I lead Dad toward the ballroom. Roman is there, standing by the archway, greeting a line of guests.

I lean on Dad's arm for a brief second.

Deep breath in, deep breath out.

Roman looks stunning in his tux. His skin has a healthy, bronze glow under the warm lights. His hair is cut short—freshly groomed. When he slightly turns his head toward the sound of my clicking heels, a smirk crawls up on his lips. Then he darts a gaze my way.