16 - Dreams, Dreams

Ever since I met him, I've imagined sleeping in Roman's arms. It's supposed to be the best sleep in the universe. I was wrong.

I found myself tangled in eerie dreams that made me toss and turn, sweat, and moan Roman's name all night.

Roman reaches across a wooden table and grabs my hand. His white shirt's sleeve has coffee splatters. I shake my head; I can't help him...

Suddenly, the table is gone, and lights twinkle around us. I'm standing on a dance floor. Roman's jaw tightens when he sees me across the room. He looks good in a tux—so good that it aches my heart.

People with ballgowns around us disappear when I turn my head to stare at our twined fingers against a yellow stone wall. Roman's gold wedding ring shines under the moonlight. The cold, grainy surface I'm up against hurts my back but I'm too busy drowning in his kiss. Guests' distant voices are mixed with a waltz. Fireworks crack above a forest and light up the night sky as if celebrating our reunion.

A golden chandelier flickers in the study we are standing in. It smells like old books and antique furniture in here. Roman's face is all red and twisted with rage. He slaps my hand away from his arm—there's a diamond ring on my finger now.

The study is gone. Roman and I are in a bedroom, and he bends me over a bed I'm sharing with someone else. He lowers my panties and caresses my hips. My heart is beating frantically. A part of me wants Roman to stop, but I can't... I've missed being one with him. I missed my other half so much.

I'm shivering in my bed. "Roman," I moan and reach for him in need.

He tears me from his arms and rolls me to lay on my back. His breath tickles my cheek. His thin lips are leaving kisses across my face.

"I'll see you soon, Abby."

I reach forward to stop him, but my hand falls on the mattress.

"Don't go," I'm begging Roman on my knees in a parking lot. People are rolling their suitcases as they walk around parked cars. Roman has whites in his hair, but his frown is still the same.

"Roman..." My hand glides on the sweaty sheets. They smell heavenly.

This must be hell. Roman is screaming at me as he's driving a sports car. We are curling around sharp hills, trying to reach the top of a mountain. His tanned finger has the mark of a ring he no longer wears.
"Enough!" I scream back at him.
Roman clenches his teeth, punches the gear and kicks the gas. The car rockets forward with a roar. We are skidding on the pebble road.
I clutch onto the grab handle when Roman pulls the handbrake. Why aren't we slowing down?
The mountain view and the sky blend together. We are spinning!
My head thuds against the window. My heart jumps to my throat.
Roman grasps the steering wheel with widened eyes. His arms stretch forward to regain control. We are drifting toward the edge of the cliff.
"Roman!"
Can he hear me through the screeching brakes? The grainy road is slipping under us...fast. My fingers are numb. Am I screaming? I can't hear anything. Our car trembles, and we hurl forward with the impact. The barrier bordering the edge tears open.
I push myself away from the console and hold my breath.
All I see is the baby blue sky...
The tires stop touching the ground. Time stops for a split second.
This is it.
My eyes meet with his caramels, and then...our free-fall begins.
Roman holds my hand. Our hearts are one and thumping together. Our fingers twine for the last time, but him and I will be twined for an eternity.
We are falling...