17 - When It Rains...

I sip my coffee and place my flask into the cupholder. On the bumpy road, I need both hands to steer the wheel toward the Memorial Bridge.

Big drops of rain splash against my windshield. I lean forward to frown at the blue sky. The weather report showed no rain today, but here I am, driving under a big, gray cloud. I check the rearview mirror and sigh when I see cars lining behind me. I don't usually drive in the city—in fact, I hate driving.

The upbeat song in the car stops when my phone starts ringing. My heart aches when I read the caller's name. I touch my new necklace, then tap my phone's screen to answer it.

"Hey, Nate."

"Morning, birthday girl," he chimes. "What are you up to today?"

"I'm heading home—"

"Great. Because I'm on my way to pick you up and take you to breakfast..."

"—to Philadelphia."

"Oh." His disappointed tone sets my cheeks on fire.

"It's been a while since I last saw Dad," I explain.

"When will you be back?"

I bump the back of my head against the headrest with a sigh. "I don't know, Nate..."

"Look, Abby, I'm not an asshole. I'd never bring girls had I known it was a date—"

"I know," I say. Nate is not the asshole. I am. He deserves better.

"Let me make up for last night."

As if he'll want to see me again... I slept with his brother right after he left! "You have nothing to make up for. I should have been clearer when I asked you to come to my birthday party. I'm sorry."

"No, I shouldn't have—"

"It's fine, Nate. I love you." The words spill on their own. I hold my breath. What the fuck is wrong with me? "I mean, I value your friendship. Can we keep being that? Friends?"

The car's speakers amplify his shaky breath. "Will you spend Thanksgiving there?"

Great, he's ignoring the L-word altogether. I relax in my seat. "Probably."

"Let me know when you're back, okay?"

The rain gets more aggressive the moment my tires touch the bridge. I stretch my neck toward the windshield, silently cursing at the single cloud that seems to be following me. "Yeah, I'll see you when I'm back in the city."

"Oh, and Olga is officially pregnant," Nate adds with a smile in his voice. "Daniel called early this morning."

My heart throbs. "And?"

"He is in shock, obviously, but in a good way. He was panicking on the phone." Nate's warm laughter makes me smile. "Asked me all about diapers, school districts, and where he could shop for baby furniture. I had to remind him that I'm still single. Anyway, he really wants this."

I loosen my grip on the steering wheel and sip my coffee. This is wonderful news! My friend is living something beautiful, creating life with the man she loves. She deserves this. She deserves the world.

"I'll call them when I get home. This is the best birthday present, Nate."

"Yeah. Get ready for lots of real estate, furniture, and baby questions."

"Wait, are they moving in together?" I ask, hitting the clicker. The wipers screech and cover the windshield with slashes of mud.

"Eventually. I gave Daniel my real estate guy's number."

Wow. I mean, I knew Olga was probably pregnant, but this is all happening so fast! My best friend is spreading her wings and flying from the cocoon we've created to build a nest of her own.

"Abby?"

"Yeah, I'm here. It's just... I have this stupid cloud following me. I swear, mine is the only car driving under big gallops of rain. Do you hear it?"

The rain pattering on the roof fills the silence.

Nate chuckles. "Yeah. Well, have a safe drive."

I know this is what people say when someone goes on a journey. But Nate wishing me well lifts a ton off my chest. I feel lighter. "Thanks. Bye, Nate."

"Bye, Abby."

The music is back on when we hang up. I grin and hit the gas as I cross the bridge. The stupid gray cloud is finally behind me.

 The stupid gray cloud is finally behind me