13 - Memories and Reality

September is the best time to sweep a broken heart under a ton of work, because it's one of the busiest months in the industry. We call it back to school... As people start spending more time in their homes, the streamers bombard them by releasing one show after another. And I'm handling new, bigger clients who beg me to work full-time in their headquarters.

My answer never changes. A big, fat NO.

Even though they have great perks and relaxed working hours, I'm earning three times as a freelancer. And I don't want a boss any time soon. The only problem is, I don't have time for anything else.

"This isn't living!" Olga screams when they drop by for breakfast with Daniel one day. She is standing in my kitchen, showing me the terribly expired, molding milk carton.

"You are exaggerating," I say as I trash the milk. "Here, I'll order bagels from the corner shop. What do you want in yours, Hercules?"

"She has a point, Abby," Daniel calls from the couch in the living room, and makes me roll my eyes. Of course, lover-boy is going to defend his girlfriend. "When's the last time you left your apartment?"

"I... Your birthday," I say defensively, walking out of the kitchen.

Olga stomps after me. "It's been a month!"

Well, when she puts it that way...

"You are coming to Nate's party tonight," Olga announces.

I back away. "I'm not invited."

"Of course you are," Daniel exclaims. "Aren't you in the group chat? Everyone is invited."

I sigh and look into Olga's eyes. "It's at their place, Olga."

She gives me a puzzled look, then tilts her chin when it finally hits her. "Ooh... I bet he won't be there. He never comes to our parties."

Daniel leans forward curiously. "Who won't be where?"

"Abby doesn't like Nate's brother," Olga replies, and when I shoot her daggers with my eyes, she protests. "What?"

Daniel waves me off. "It's fine. Nobody likes that cocky bastard. He won't be home, though. He's attending some award show tonight."

I cross my arms. "I don't know..."

Olga shrieks, grabs my hand, and drags me into my bedroom. "You are going to file those nails, shave your legs, take a shower, and come with us to the party. Work will still be here in the morning."

Looks like I don't have a choice! I chuckle as I enter the bathroom and lock the door behind me. Who am I kidding? I have a boss, and she is the cutest, most stubborn bitch in the world.

***

Olga's whistle echoes down the empty street when they come to pick me up in the evening. "Hot girl alert!" she screams, sticking her head out of Daniel's car window.

I catwalk around the gray BMW and spin in front of the headlights. My hair falls on my naked shoulders as I dramatically stop and bend forward to blow them a kiss. Olga howls while I tiptoe in my sparkling high heels and throw myself in the back seat, giggling.

I won't lie. I am feeling hot tonight. Daniel and Olga's love-filled chattering only lifts my spirits higher as we drive past the city lights and stop in front of a tall building on the Upper East Side.

I check my reflection against the elevator's mirror and loosen my white corset's laces. There, my breasts look fuller now. My bangs are poking my eyes. I brush them away and put on some lipstick.