Chapter 23 - Betrayal!

Anjali curiously stared at Khushi, who sat beside her on her bed, glancing every now and then to her brother, who was standing in front of them with his usual poker look and folded arms. They were stealing glances and making suspicious gestures to each other, making her wonder what really brought them here.

"What happened, Khushi?" Anjali asked.

Khushi forced a smile on her face before she looked up at Arnav, glaring at him for the never-ending silence from his side, "Di, Arnav ji wants to ask you something. Haina Arnav ji?"

"Hmm,"

"Hmm??" Khushi raised her brows at him, gesturing him to continue speaking.

Arnav cleared his throat, looking for a better way to express himself in words to his sister, "I was saying to Khushi-"

But Anjali started panicking with the suspense created and time taken to reveal their motive behind their sudden presence in her room. The overthinking and guilty consciousness blurred her own sanity in that moment as she blurted out, hot tears pooled in her eyes, "So you told her everything, right?" she smiled frustratedly as tears continuously slipped from her eyes,  "You were so eager to break my friendship with Khushi, right? It was hurting your ego that she chose to save our friendship instead of her job. That's why you used the one thing you had against me to spoil our relationship. Why, Arnav? Why do you hate me so much? What did I do wrong to you that you're hell bent on ruining my happiness?"

"Hold your horses!" Arnav frowned, "It's not me, but you who's going to ruin your friendship with Khushi right now."

Khushi was silently staring at the siblings exchanging words confused.

"Di.. Arnav ji-" Khushi interfered, trying to clear the misunderstanding.

Anjali turned to her, sobbing, "I know he already told you everything, but I still plead you to listen to my version of the story as well. My intention was not to hurt you. I agree to help Aman woo you back because I thought you still love him, and your love story shouldn't end in a heartbreaking note like this."

Khushi's eyes transitioned from confusion to shock upon learning her best friend had been helping her ex fiance patch up with her. She was caught off guard, and for a moment, she didn't even know how to react to the unanticipated change of this conversation. She came here with the intention of sharing good news with her best friend, to see the happiness in her eyes when she discovers that she will finally be able to turn her passion into a profession. She was here to celebrate her best friend's happiness, but in return, she received the awful news that her best friend had been helping her ex fiance behind her back.

Arnav darted a pity look at Khushi before he looked back at Anjali and gritted his teeth, "Can you please stop your melodrama and listen to what I've to say first dammit?"

"No! Go away from here," Anjali shouted at him, "You already ruined everything. What do you have to say now? I was planning to explain everything to Khushi in a sensible and proper way, but you forced me to confess unprepared like this."

Then she turned to Khushi, who still didn't react to her confession of teaming up with Aman to help him get her back. Anjali cupped Khushi's face, forcing Khushi to look at her face, "Khushi, please don't be angry with me. Don't get me wrong, please. I thought I was doing good for you. I just wanted to see you and Aman happy together. That's why when he came to me crying.. he was literally crying, heartbroken that day.. he said he couldn't live without you.. I couldn't see him like that Khushi. It hurt my heart to see you two suffering without each other. That's why I agreed to help him. But yesterday, you told me clearly that you have moved on in your life, and I also mentally decided that I would stop helping Aman behind your back. I was planning to talk to him on Monday and put this matter to rest once and for all. But... someone here with ulterior motives was clearly two steps ahead in his mission to break off our friendship."