Chapter 16 - Ankhiyan Teri

Getting down his car, Arnav started looking for Mohan Kaka at the dhaba he had recommended the last time Khushi fainted.

Two hours ago, he had locked himself in his room, angry and agitated due to his heated argument with Anjali, and after calming himself down, his mind recalled the way he yelled at Mohan Kaka and he regretted for venting out his frustration and anger on Mohan Kaka during that moment.

He left his room and searched for Mohan Kaka in the servants' quarters, where he got information that Mohan Kaka wasn't inside the mansion. He had left. And the servants didn't know where he went.

And here he is looking for him in the places he remembers Mohan Kaka telling him about.

He looked around hastily, scanning the entire place through his restless eyes before he spotted Mohan Kaka sitting in a corner table alone. His eyes softened as he dragged his tranquillized self towards that table and sat on the bench opposite Mohan Kaka.

Mohan Kaka sat straight as soon as he realised Arnav's presence. He looked at Arnav, surprised, "Beta.. aap yahan? (You here?)"

"I guess we've exchanged roles now. You're behaving like me when I was 5. I yelled at you, and you came here to sulk in a corner," Arnav said, staring at him sternly.

"Aisa kuch bhi nahi hai beta (It's nothing like that). I came here to breathe fresh air and have my tea and snacks. I can never be upset or angry with you, beta. Who am I to even feel like that? A servant like me has no right to feel upset or offended by his Malik's scolding," Mohan Kaka said, his eyes lowered and a respectful low tone.

"It's ironic how you call me beta and malik in the same sentence."

The reflection of pain in his eyes made Mohan Kaka feel the necessity to explain the meaning behind his words, "It's true that I consider you as my son only. But I can't forget that you're my Malik's son. And that makes you my Malik, too. I'm here to serve you and Anjali bitiya as I did for your parents."

"I'm not here as your Malik. Can we stop this nonsense now?" Arnav asked with a frown, adorning his forehead.

Mohan Kaka nodded his head, looking down.

Arnav sighed as he struggled to find words to explain his feelings or express to Mohan Kaka that he was feeling guilty for yelling at him when he wasn't at fault, "Main gusse mein tha.. sorry. (I was angry)."

That's all he managed to express at the moment.

Mohan Kaka shook his head, "Don't do this beta. You don't need to apologise. I'm really not upset with you."

"Maine kaha na.. (I said right). I'm not here as your Malik, so let me say what I want as the person you consider as your son. That's if you really consider me as one," Arnav said, taunting him at the end.

Mohan Kaka's eyes filled with tears, overwhelmed by his emotions. He extended his hands to reach Arnav's and held them in his firmly, "Of course, I look at you as my son. I've never treated you, Payal, and Anjali bitiya differently. You three are precious to me."

"Payal theek hai? (Is Payal fine?)" Arnav asked.

Mohan Kaka noticed how quick he was to change the topic when the conversation between them took an emotional turn. He nodded his head, "Yes, she's fine."

"Mujhse milne kyu nahi aayi voh? (Why didn't she come to meet me?)," Arnav asked.

Mohan Kaka gulped. He had plans to send his daughter to Arnav as she needed to thank him for  helping them financially during her marriage. But he was reluctant to send his daughter to meet him because of his changed behaviour ever since he returned from London. He didn't know how this Arnav would react. Hence, he decided not to mention his daughter until Arnav asked or showed any interest in talking to her.