Chapter 22 - Protector!

(The girl in the picture is not Sanaya

(The girl in the picture is not Sanaya. The edit only reflects my imagination of Arnav and Khushi's looks. If anyone wants to interpret the picture according to the story here, feel free. I would love to hear your thoughts on this edit 😊)

Sunday..

"How was the movie date last night?" Shyam asked casually, watching his sister making jalebis at 4:00am. He was left speechless when she came to wake him up to help her make jalebis for the kids at the orphanage, claiming she had a busy day ahead, so she needed his help. She had prepared the batter last night after Arnav dropped her home. When he told her to leave it and rest, she denied saying that tomorrow she needed to leave early home and she won't have time to make the jalebi for the kids.

"It was.." Khushi paused for a second to think the answer before she replied with an unsure smile, "... strange."

"Strange?" Shyam didn't expect this kind of answer.

"Yes.. it was the first time I didn't pay much attention to Salman Ji's movie. You know how much I get lost whenever I watch any of Salman Ji's movies, I don't talk or listen to people around me. But Mr. Cold Light managed to steal a little bit of my attention last night," Khushi chuckled lightly as memories of their bickering over Salman's movies and then her demanding him to feed her something came to her mind. It was purely in the moment that she demanded him to buy something to eat. Otherwise, in normal circumstances, she would never order her boss like that. But it's not a big deal since he took her to a movie date. As a gentleman, it was his duty to look after her only. She mentally convinced herself and directed her attention to her frying jalebis in the pan.

Shyam had an unsettled expression on his face, "Khushi, kuch jyada nahi ho gaya? (Don't you think it's too much now?)"

"Haan. I know. But don't worry, bhaiya. Not all jalebis are for the kids. I'm making separate jalebis for Di," Khushi replied with a knowing sheepish smile.

"I'm talking about your boss," he looked at her seriously, "Don't you think you're getting closer and closer to him? His track record speaks for itself, but still, you ignored it and behaved as if he had never done anything wrong to you, Anjali, and Aman. It seems as if you're completely blind to his mistakes, Khushi. It's worrying me now."

"And you're acting blind to all his good deeds. And it's disappointing me now, bhaiya," Khushi sighed.

"I'm really sorry, Khushi. But I'll have to be honest with you. I don't really trust your boss. In fact, I'm just quiet because of you. But the way he sold our house to you and last night booked an entire auditorium to watch a movie with you seems suspicious to me. Why would he do these things for a mere employee of his? Pehle toh, he didn't even care to look at your face, nor did he know your name. And now, suddenly, his behaviour changed towards you. Don't you find it strange? I know.. you feel that we should be grateful to him for giving us the opportunity to get our house back. Trust me, a part of me is grateful, but I just can't act blind eye to everything he does now because he helped us. You also need to think why he would sell our parents' house to you when he knows you don't have enough money to buy it? That's a non profitable deal for him. And now book an entire auditorium to watch a movie with his PA.. like.. I don't know.. I find this too hard to digest. A man who does nothing for his own family, especially his sister, who actually needs his help, is doing all this for you, a stranger to him."