~Chapter Two: Goals~

Today is the day the 47th suitor I’ve gone through marches through the golden doors of my father’s palace and thinks he can do whatever he wants because he’s rich and his palace has more power than ours. But, thankfully, I am not going to let him enchant me with his mystical charm and persuade me into marrying him out of instant love. “That is my mission, and I am not going to let anything stop me from completing it!” I shout, with a fiery tone.
I wait patiently in the entryway to greet him formally, and after a while of waiting, I hear a knock on the door. I peer over towards the doors, and they fling open with a man stumbling through them. He grunts, and a scrawny man follows behind him, frantically asking him if he’s alright. The man’s face turns a bright red, and he quickly stands up. “Of course I’m alright…” He huffed, embarrassed.
“Uhm, Sir, behind you…” The scrawny man said, pointing towards me. The man turned around and shuffled around uncomfortably. He was taller than me by a bit, and he had a blond short curtain hairstyle. He was in a blue and gold suit with a sword on his hip. He started to say something, but my attention went to my father entering the room.
“Ah, I see that you’re finally here. Monika, welcome our guest.” He said, flaring his nostrils at me. I curtsied and said in a disgruntled tone, “Welcome to the Midal Kingdom, your highness.” He cleared his throat, and nodded his head.
“Monika, this is Prince Charles Grieves. He will be staying with us for a while, isn’t that just great?” I was devastated. How could things escalate from just visiting to staying here?! No… This could work to my advantage… I could REALLY make him regret coming here now! I thought to myself. He outreached his hand for me to shake, and I scoffed at him. “A handshake?! That’s what you approach me with? Do I look like a man to you?! HMPH!” I snarled at him, and he quickly retreated his hand.
“I- I’m terribly sorry miss. How would you rather have me greet you?” He said softly. I felt somewhat bad for reacting how I did… But I had to make sure he didn’t like me. So, I retreated to my room for the night, skipping dinner. My step-mother tried to scold me out of my room, but I kept my back against the door until she left. I need some fresh air. I thought, as I stepped out onto my balcony.
The crisp fresh air filled my lungs, and I started to feel a bit better. The moon shined bright, and there was barely a cloud in the star filled sky. As I was staring up at the stars, a small shadow flew past the moon. My eyes dart back and forth, trying desperately to find it again. “Was that a bat?” I say, still looking around the night sky. The small figure flies up, and over the roof of the balcony. I sigh, wishing I was a bat so that I could fly away from my family drama. I hear quiet footsteps above me, slowly approaching. My heart-rate increases, and I begin to sweat. My breathing gets heavier, and the footsteps come closer, slowly increasing its speed. I back away towards the glass door of my room, and the footsteps stop. I wait quietly, trying to slow my breathing and calm myself down.
“Is there someone there?” I ask, my voice quivering. The tension in the air thinned when I heard no response. I took a deep breath, and turned around to head back inside.
“What do we have here?” A voice said, seeming to come from right behind me.