Chapter X

Azariah's

"I've already done what you've been asking me to do!" I snapped at my father, tired of his constant nagging about his business in the US.

I had traveled there last week solely to resolve the issue he kept pestering me about. However, upon learning that she was coming home, I needed to ensure there were no further complications. Her arrival alone is already a problem; I don't want to add any more to the pile.

"Hija, when will you tell everyone abou-" I interrupted him, not wanting to hear any more from him.

He keeps mentioning our owned businesses, which I'll soon be responsible for managing. He doesn't trust her much when it comes to business matters, and I can't blame him. I don't trust her either.

I ended the call and headed to the canteen, but then her face crossed my mind. What could she be up to now? The sight of her, her face flushed with redness from being hit by someone, filled me with an overwhelming urge to retaliate against whoever dared to harm her.

I spotted my colleagues and joined them, scanning the area in search of her. This had become a routine for me, constantly seeking her out and admiring her beauty from afar. She remains as captivating and intriguing as ever.

I noticed her group of friends, including Nathan, but she was nowhere to be seen. Where could she be? I waited for several minutes, but she didn't show up. I wondered if she had already eaten something.

I stood up and walked to my class, hoping to find her there.

Yes, I'll admit that I've been thinking about her more often than I should. It's as if she occupies my thoughts, even when I try to focus on other things. Her presence lingers in my mind, and I find myself wondering about her, wondering what she's doing, and if she's thinking about me too. But I know I need to be cautious, especially considering the circumstances we're in.

It's tough being in this situation where I feel powerless to control my actions. The complexity of it all is incredibly frustrating. Despite my efforts to push aside my feelings for her, they persist. However, now is not the time to dwell on them.

I entered the classroom smelling the aroma of coffee, feeling the weight of everyone's stares, as always. I've grown accustomed to the fear that lingers in every corner of my being. Maintaining this image is intentional; I no longer wish for anyone to draw near. However, she is an exception.

I looked around again, but all I could see was her bag on the desk. I glanced at Nathan, knowing he understood the unspoken question, but he just shrugged, adding to my growing concern.

I couldn't bring myself to start the class with her bag here but her absence. Where could she be? I felt like I had no choice but to reach out to her family, even though I knew it would only complicate things further.

I made the decision to dismiss everyone and explained that I had an urgent matter to attend to. Observing their reactions, it became clear to me that they were genuinely pleased to be free from my presence. However, they had no choice in the matter, particularly considering the circumstances within the school.

I hurriedly went to the elevator to retrieve my phone, realizing I had left it in my office. I froze in horror at the sight of droplets of blood on the floor. The sight triggered a flood of memories, a past trauma I had worked hard to bury. 

"Please please don't g-" In that moment, my pleas were abruptly halted by the agony in her voice, a sound I dreaded.

"I'm sorry, my love," she stuttered, her distress palpable. "Please, stay strong. I need to rest; my eyes are too tired."