THIRTY-THREE

OKIKA MARAJ

Bey was always dragging me some-fucking-where.

I secretly loved it because I knew she just wanted me around her and to show me a different but I still had to act like I hated it.

She wanted me to go to some event a family friend was having for the opening of their business. She told me all the details but I didn't retain any of it. I tend to turn my brain off around her because I know I'm safe.

There was an all white theme and after telling her I couldn't find anything to wear, she bought me an entire outfit. She said it was because she inconvenienced me but I knew she just liked dressing me.

When I got dressed in the outfit, it was so cute. She had me wearing these cute white pants that were a little pleated at the top and a white thick strapped cropped tank top. It was just the right amount of formal and classy while still being me.

I didn't really know how to describe her outfit but it was white and poofy. She could definitely be a little experimental with her fashion but it almost always looked good.

While we did our makeup side by side, I decided it was finally time for me to ask some questions I probably should've asked before I even agreed to be there. "So who alls going to be at this thing?"

"Probably nobody you know except for Kelly. But Giselles coming with us so at least you'll have a friend. Blue too."

Me and Blue were cool now, I think. She got over the whole thing, she just needed time to get comfortable with it.

"Why just Blue? Where are the twins going to go?"

"They're going to be bored and I refuse to be the parent with their kids running around acting a fool at a fancy event. My mom's going to watch them, she was begging me to take them there anyway."

"Mmm." Valid. "I just hope the foods good."

"You know you and Giselle like those vape things, you'll probably be too high to tell if it was bad."

I busted out laughing, mostly out of surprise. "Girl, what do you know about that?"

"More than you think, I'm not a grandma."

"Yet. Gigis going to poundtown constantly, it's only a matter of time."

She scrunched her face up. "Please. That's your friend but she's definitely not mine, I don't need to be hearing that."

"Sorry." I actually forgot for a second. "You should definitely be trying to get her on birth control though. If we were straight, do you think we would have a pregnancy scare by now?"

"100%. We would've had a trapping situation."

I don't know who would've trapped who but I agree.

Blue walked into the bathroom wearing a white dress with spaghetti straps. Something I would've been jealous of if I was her age.

"Mama, when are we leaving? Gigi told me to come ask because she said she's been waiting for half an hour." She seemed a bit over it herself.

I thought we were doing pretty good on time, I guess not.

Bey huffed, she knew she was dead wrong. "Tell her I said it's not my fault she got ready too early and now she has to wait. We'll be down in ten minutes. Make sure you and your siblings have everything they need."

"Rumis mad we get to dress up and she can't so I don't really want to talk to her. I'll ask Gigi." Bey didn't say anything so she left.

Now that I knew they were waiting on us, I started to rush. I'm fine being late when it's just us two but I hated to keep other people waiting too.