Chapter 11

𝕾𝖔𝖓𝖌 𝕿𝖎𝖙𝖑𝖊: 𝖂𝖔𝖓𝖉𝖊𝖗𝖎𝖓𝖌 (𝕱𝖗𝖔𝖒 "𝕳𝖎𝖌𝖍 𝕾𝖈𝖍𝖔𝖔𝖑 𝕸𝖚𝖘𝖎𝖈𝖆𝖑: 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕸𝖚𝖘𝖎𝖈𝖆𝖑 𝕾𝖊𝖗𝖎𝖊𝖘")

***

I remember a time when I had that kind of gaze. Eyes that spoke of innocence and lips curling at the corners of his face—these qualities reminded me of my wounded self.

Can I even get any more foolish than before?

I once asked myself, 'Would I finally be freed if I let go of this sense of loss, of these emotions warning to hurt me despite knowing how I would end if I continued it?'

Yet, seeing this man mirror my previous self reminded me of a wounded puppy, lost in the darkness of the night in the middle of a sea storm.

Silence became his response; neither did he turn his head to look at me, nor did he continue to tease me like earlier.

I continued to look at him, and a few seconds later, I followed his gaze and wondered what it was like to feel the love be returned.

Majestically, the crown prince walked down the aisle, holding the lady's hand. With each step, he would caress her hand, look at her, and smile. The lady would do the same. Then, after they landed on the ground, they faced the guests with smiles on their faces.

"The two of them looked like they're dazzling in this night," I whispered.

Vaxius never utter a single word. I turned to look at him, but the smile on his face already faded.

A sense of curiosity hit my mind, so I followed his gaze once more, only to know that the crown prince gazed at us. The gaze was never friendly; it was never familial; it was a look thrown at a stranger at a feast.

I tried to smile at him, and his gaze changed into a smile he would plaster around.

"Vaxius," I tugged at the end of his suit. Finally, he turned to look at me. The coldness he had earlier vanished. Right now, he raised both of his eyebrows, as if seeking me to continue what I would have said.

What would I even say? Would I even say for him to be careful around? Or would I even say that he needed to be wary about the crown prince and that he shouldn't get involved with his partner?

I shake my head to clear some thoughts.

"Are you okay?" suddenly, he asked. Out of nowhere, I felt his hand holding my forehead. I looked up at him and knew that it was too late to realize how close his face was to mine.

I even saw my eyes widen in his emerald ones.

I faked a cough. Then he stepped back. I sighed as I began to calm my raging heart.

I just felt surprised, that's all.

"Here," I heard him whisper. He leaned closer to my ears and then held my hand. I felt my right hand holding a glass, so I looked at what he gave me, and it was orange juice.

"For a young lady like you, you still need to drink this beverage," he winked, and I almost coughed in real-time.

He thinks I can't drink.

"I know that look, but listen to me, young lady." I know what he's doing. He leaned in closer to me once more, pretending to tuck some loose strands of hair from my ears, only to tease me about the contract.

"We have our deal, remember. I can't afford to let you ruin it with a small mistake like a drink, right, my sidekick?"

"It would have been better if I kicked you to the other side right now, Vaxius."