Chapter: 10

Earlier, Minji kept her eyes on Hanni from the moment she entered the interview room. She observed and took every change she could register on her appearance. She looked more mature and more feminine and maybe that's why she felt she couldn't call her pocket sized any more. She wanted to see what changes aside from the outer appearance so she asked about her heartbeat. But knowing her heartbeat made her more curious. She wanted to ask her why her heart was beating so fast but it wasn't an appropriate question, she wanted to run after her when she left but wasn't an appropriate action. Hanni left her anxious and restless the whole day.

She went to Haerin's place after work instead of going home. Haerin was living with her parents in their villa for the time being. Minji heard that they are planning to move to Australia permanently after some time but she hasn't had a real talk about it with the couple. As soon as she entered the gate, she saw Haerin's mom watering the plants.

"Eomma?" Minji called her. And Haerin's mom stared at her with eyes wide open.

"Eomma, it's me Minji. Can't you recognise me?" Minji asked slowly approaching her.

"Minji why wouldn't I recognise you? I'm just surprised to see you after so long. Come, let's go in." Haerin's mom took Minji inside the living room but slapped her back as soon as they reached there.

"Eomma why are you beating a guest !?" Minji asked, already laughing before asking.

"Let me beat you again then." She slapped Minji's back again.

"Why are you treating me as if I'm still a kid!? Eomma, I'm all grown up now." Minji said still laughing.

"That's why I'm beating you. When you're a kid, I beat you because I love you but now..."

"Now, you don't love me anymore!? Why, when I love you this much, why Eomma?" Minji asked.

"You love me? Is that why you didn't come to visit anymore to see how your Appa and I were doing, and you didn't even ask if I have arthritis or I'm still healthy? What kind of officers are you?"

"Eomma you have arthritis!?

"Yes, I even have problems walking now. I'm so old now, I kept wondering if you'll ask after us when I'm old but you didn't."

Minji hugged Haerin's mom feeling both sad and guilty, "Eomma I'll come visit now, so often that you'll start shooing me away like the old days."

"Don't lie to make me happy. I'm older and wiser, you know. I know your tricks. I have learned them by heart!"

Minji laughed at that.
"Don't laugh you bad girl, I don't want to hear you laughing."

"I'm laughing because I don't want to cry." Minji said.

"You can't cry." Haerin's mom pouted.

Danielle saw them as she came across the living room.
"Kim Minji, what are you doing here!?"

"Eomma, tell your daughter in law to treat the guest better."

"Guest!? Huh, as if. You kept forgetting to invite us for the meal you mentioned and then you came to see Haerin at the restaurant but didn't see me. What a bad person are you?" Danielle complained.

"Look at her, Eomma. I can't visit you if your daughter in law is chewing my heads off like this."

"Lemme go get Haerin for you." Danielle went away ignoring Minji, and Haerin's mom smiled at them.

"I'll go start preparing for dinner. Stay for dinner, okay?"

"No, Eomma. I can't stay for dinner, Joonie's alone at home." Minji refused.