Chapter: 6

April, 2009

It was the first time that Minji went to Hongcheon. She was running away from her father when she ran into Hanni along with some of her friends. She didn't recognise Hanni at first and was asking if there is any hotel in Chucheon to one of the girls. Minji's awkward and coy yet eager expression when approaching the girls made her seem playful.

"You are looking for a hotel in Chucheon here in Hongcheon?" The girls shared laughter amongst themselves. They dared to tease her because of the playful smile that she wears in front of them.

The girls found Minji cool and interesting with the bike and the almost formal attire that she was wearing.

"Oh, was I going the wrong way? Where would this road take me to?" The playful smile still on Minji's face even when she knew she was losing her way. She's an extrovert and always interacts with people easily.

"This road will never take you to Chucheon." Hanni answered sounding annoyed.

The smile from Minji's face disappeared after hearing the familiar voice, "What are you doing here?"

"I should be the one asking you. This is my village." Hanni replied, folding her hands over her chest, her eyebrows questioningly raised at the taller girl.

Minji recalled how Hanni's father once invited her to their village. "Have I reached your village? Shit."

During this time, Hanni's father who's also back from the church, approached them.
"Hanni, why are you still here? Who are you talkin_ Minji?" Mr Pham recognised Minji at the first glance.

"Minji, what a surprise! Are you visiting Hanni?"

"No dad, she's _"

"Yes uncle. I, ah, came to visit Hanni." Minji answered before Hanni could. Hanni was ready to argue when two black luxury cars stopped around them.

A tall handsome guy in his fifties and a younger version of him approached Minji and Minji suddenly looked uncomfortable.

"Kim Minji, what did I tell you about sneaking away from the meetings?" The older guy asked as he reached near Minji.

"Dad, I'm here to meet my friend. I told you earlier that I have plans." Minji stood tall as she faced her dad. She glanced at Hanni apologetically, "Hanni this is my dad, Dad this is Hanni. Uncle, it's my dad and my brother." Minji introduced them while still avoiding his father's eyes. Mr Pham happily shook their hands while Hanni bowed slightly to them.

"Minji we should be going back to the hotel _" Brother Taemin couldn't finish his sentence because Minji,

"I'm going over to her place, oppa. Can I have a sleepover with Hanni, uncle?" Minji asked Mr Pham and it caught everyone by surprise.

"Kim Minji _" Minji's dad started authoritatively.

"Please dad, I haven't seen her since the finals and it's been so long." Minji looked at Hanni for help and Hanni didn't know how to act or what to say.

"But you will be far away from the hotel.." Minji's dad was giving in. It was out of character for him but the last time Minji has called him Dad or asked him for a favour has been years ago.

Hanni took her father's hand trying to get his attention, she asked for his help with her eyes and,
"You can trust her with me and my daughter here. They're very close in school and even help each other with their studies." Mr Pham said with a smile.