Chapter:3

Fall, 2008

It was result out day for the first monthly test, Minji and Haerin were checking the result board.

"08 in maths, 03 in chemistry is too grave, 17 in Korean! You should take Korean literature and become a poet?" Minji was blabbering while Haerin sat sulking beside her.

"11 in biology, 02 in physics, 15 in English." Minji laughed,
"You're giving exam just to get this marks?" Minji slap the report card on her hand.

Haerin snatched the report card from Minji's hand and threw it hard on her bag.
"Just tear this."

"Give it here, lemme sign it for you. If you ask your Dad to sign this, he'll beat you to pulp using this report card." Minji signed it for Haerin.

"I'm not afraid of my Dad." Haerin said.

"You are not now since I already signed it for you. Your sister said you're studying, were you daydreaming infront of your books instead of reading it?" Minji asked.

" I did open my books. But everytime I try to read, I kept thinking of Danielle." Haerin admitted.

"You like her to the point of getting this sorry excuse of a mark. Yet you can't even confess. I even set you up in the bus." Minji scolded her best friend.

"Well, you surprised me and I wasn't even ready. I almost had a heart attack! I was trying to calm myself down the whole time." Haerin defended herself.

"I did tell her friend, Hanni or whatever her name was. I think that girl is little crazy in her head of something. She was getting angry on me. Maybe because nobody has asked her out." Minji laughed.

"Then you asked her out, I'll confess to Danielle. We could go on double dates and all." Haerin said playfully to Minji.

"You fuckface, you confess first. You've been admiring her since the first day. It's been 2 months, at this rate... If I were you, I'd leave everything behind and become a nun." Minji mocked Haerin.

"Shut up. I was planning to confess after the results came but now, with my marks, I'm ashamed to." Haerin said sadly.

"You should use the marks as an excuse. Tell her you couldn't study or eat or sleep thinking about her." Minji encouraged her.

"To be honest, I really can't focus on my study. Mom said I eat less and I went to bed really late too." Haerin confessed.

Minji rolled the report card, making a paper mike and shouted "Oh my God, true love" to Haerin's ear. 

Haerin pushed her off,
"I don't think Danielle will get low marks like me." Haerin said.

"Shall we go and asked during the break?" Minji said abruptly.

"What if she asked mine? I'll be ashamed." Haerin replied in a rejected tone.

"You fool. You take your chance when she talks back, get it?" Minji was acting as a love guru. Didn't we all receive love advice from our single friend?

-

In the break, Minji and Haerin came to section A as they planned. There was still a teacher inside the class trying to finish a math problem. Hanni was sitting on the first bench, focusing on the board. Next to her sits Danielle. She made an eye contact with Haerin as she looked out the door. Feeling shy, she bit her pen and looked down.

Minji went to check to notice board where the results of topper from all the sections were pasted. She checked the topper of section A.
1. Hanni Pham, total marks -115/120
2. Yang Jungwon-109/120