Mistakes Were Made

I avoided Oliver since our run-in in the hallway yesterday afternoon

I avoided Oliver since our run-in in the hallway yesterday afternoon. He was leaving today, for good. I don't know when or even if he'd ever come back and my heart ached at that thought. So I decided not to think about it and I busied with planning ma's birthday party. Her party was tomorrow and so I was finishing up the final touches. I was excited and nervous about giving her the tickets and performing the songs I've been practicing for months now. I pulled into the driveway of my family's farm, Applewood Vineyard, and I didn't see Oliver's car there. Did he leave already? I walked inside and ma was in the kitchen.

"Well good mornin' peaches." She smiled softly as she handed me a cup of coffee.

"Mornin' ma." I gave her a small smile back and took a sip of my coffee. "Did Oliver and Florence leave already?" Ma's warming smile slowly faded as she nodded.

"They left early this morning. They wanted to make sure to get home in time for dinner." He left, he's gone. Without a goodbye. I guess I deserved that after breaking up with him. But it still hurt that he didn't bother to say goodbye. I looked down into my coffee cup and I felt ma's hand on my arm. I looked up at her and I couldn't help the tears that formed in my eyes.

"Oh peaches I'm so sorry." She pulled me into a hug as I set my cup down and cried in her shoulder. She rubbed my back and my grip tightened on her small frame as my chest ached. I was still so in love with Oliver, but for some reason it was so hard for me to get over his words. His apology helped some but I still needed time and now I feel like I've run out of time. I wanted to run and let the earth just open up and swallow me whole. I wanted to go after him and beg him to come back and stay, just like how he talked about the other day. But I knew I couldn't and it was tearing me apart.

"Why don't you take a day off of doin' chores and take the day for yourself hm?" Ma pulled back and wiped my tears gently. I took a moment to think about it. No if I did that my thoughts would torture me, I needed to be busy to keep my mind off of him.

"I'll be okay ma, I need the distraction." she nodded in understanding.

"Alright, well if you can't handle it I'll be here." she smiled softly and kissed my cheek. "I love you peaches."

"I love you too." I gave her a small smile and down the rest of my coffee before heading outside and getting to work.

***

I was able to finish all of the chores and even help Jesse decorate for ma's birthday. He could tell I wasn't doin' good so he talked nonsense with me and kept me laughing. I needed it, and he knew it. Jesse has been closer since the breakup and I couldn't be more thankful for it. I needed someone to lean on and Jesse was there every time.

"Hey, why don't I come over after your shift and we can play board games until we can't keep our eyes open any longer."  Jesse suggested as he handed me tape to finish hanging the birthday banner.