First Meet

"MA! Where did you say the biscuits were?" Sawyer yelled from the dining room

"MA! Where did you say the biscuits were?" Sawyer yelled from the dining room. My youngest big brother is always yelling about how he can't find the food.

"Still in the oven. And what did I say about yelling through the house Sawyer?" ma called back as my brother appeared in the doorway.

"Sorry ma... I didn't mean to yell." he walked over to her and leaned down and kissed her cheek. She smiled up at him. Even though Sawyer was the youngest of the brothers, he still towered over her.

"All's forgiven. Now go round up the rest of the boys, breakfast will be done soon." My brother stole a piece of bacon as he ran off to the barn.

I stood in the corner of the kitchen and watched my family with a smile. I guess you could say it's a cliche thought but I honestly haven't a clue about what I'd do without these people. My family and I grew up very close with each other. I can always count on my brothers to help when I need it most. Of course they'll tease me first but that's what big brothers are supposed to do.

I have three big rowdy brothers and two wonderful parents. Besides my ma, I'm the only girl in our family. I also happen to be the shortest and the baby, but don't let that fool you. I can lift a hay bale twice my brothers size without breaking a sweat.

Ma or as everyone else knows her, Josie Carter, shoved a basket, overflowing with biscuits, in my hands. I looked up at her and she had a smile on her face. "Genevieve can you set these on the table for me please?"

I smiled back and set my cup of smoldering hot coffee down and took the basket from her. "Sure thing ma."

I took the basket to the table and set it next to the huge breakfast that has been set out. When you live with four giant boys and a small girl that eats like a boy you tend to need lots of food. As soon as the basket hits the table and leaves my hands I feel my oldest brother's arm, Levi Carter, wrap strongly around my middle. He picks me up and throws me over his shoulder like a bag of horse feed in one swift motion.

"Levi! Put me down!" I start to squirm as much as I can so my big brother loses his hold on me.

"That's ten points for the Carter boys!" Jesse, the second oldest out of us four came bounding inside with a huge grin plastered across his face. "Face it Gen, you'll never win."

"Is that a challenge Jess?" I smirk, I love a good challenge.

"Oh no, I know that look-"

"Levi Carter, you put your sister down this instant." ma came into the dining room with a slight frown while holding a mound of pancakes.

The boys went still at the sound of ma's voice. I had a smug grin on my face as Jesse stuck his tongue out at me. Levi set me down back on the ground with a "yes ma'am".

I helped ma finish setting the table and saw that the boys had taken their seats and were now practically drooling all over the food. I slipped into my seat between my brothers as ma looked around the room.