𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟑

─── ・ 。゚♡: *

─── ・ 。゚♡: *.☽ .* :♡ ˚。・ ───

The colorless sunshine of another clouded morning soon woke me up.

I assumed I must've rolled over to my other side while I was sleeping to where I was facing the sunlit window and turned to the side I originally fell asleep on while yawning myself awake.

The moment I rolled to my opposite side, my eyes widened fully open at the empty space on my bed next to me, knocking immediate consciousness into my brain of the previous night.

She wasn't there.

I instantly sat up out of bed, patting the vacant spot in disbelief, and panicking as to where she could've gone — she promised.

Just then, I jumped to the sound of my door creaking open and was immediately stunned seeing who was on the other side.

"Good morning!" Her gentle, musical voice chirped.

"Alice!" I exclaimed. "You're still here!"

"Of course!" she beamed. "Just like I promised."

She gracefully strolled in, holding a small glass plate, balancing a white glass teacup filled with what smelled like green tea steaming from it.

"I thought that..." I trailed off, upset to even say it.

"No, never," she assured. "I'm sorry I wasn't here when you woke up — I thought you would like a cup of tea, so I went down to your kitchen and made some for you to drink when you awakened."

"You didn't have to do that, Alice," I murmured shyly.

"I know, but I still wanted to." She softly smiled.

She held out the cup for me to take as I pulled myself out of bed to reach and take it.

"Thanks," I mumbled with a small smile.

"How does your head feel this morning?" She asked.

"Still quite sore," I answered. "Though not as bad as yesterday, of course."

As I took a cautious sip of the hot liquid, Alice gently went to sit on the bedside next to me, which is when I noticed a difference in the color of her eyes from the night prior.

The tint in her eyes was no longer the flat black color they were — now they were the golden ocher shade I knew them to be when she recently hunted for food.

"Your eyes look different this morning." I pointed out.

"Oh, yes," she said. "I actually had to go hunt earlier before you woke — I should've waited to tell you, but I haven't fed in almost two weeks and felt that I should hunt immediately."

"Two weeks?" I said, sounding shocked. "Why did you go that long without?"

A frown formed over her lips as her eyes fell to her lap with her hands crossed elegantly over them.