𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟔

─── ・ 。゚♡: *

─── ・ 。゚♡: *.☽ .* :♡ ˚。・ ───

I kept my frozen, frightened, unblinking eyes towards the forest, where the three brawling wolves disappeared, still able to hear echoes of snarling and snapping teeth fading into the distance.

"Take Bella and Scarlett back to Emily's place," Sam ordered, looking at Embry and Jared standing next to him — both with captivated expressions from the scene that just transpired.

Sam then ran into the forest, kicking his shoes off in his passing as he too disappeared into the thick woods.

"Guess the wolf's out of the bag," Embry murmured sarcastically.

The two boys walked over to Bella and me, still frozen in fear beside each other, unable to move.

"Mind giving us a ride?" Embry asked, mainly to Bella. "Emily's house isn't far — we can direct you there."

"Maybe it's best you drive, Embry," Jared casually said. "They both still look like they're going to pass out any minute."

I grimaced, rolling my eyes at his comment.

"Good idea," Embry nodded. "Do you care if I drive your truck?"

"Not at all." Bella choked.

"Then let's get a move on." Embry declared.

Bella and I followed behind the two boys as they led us out of the backyard and to the driveway where Bella's truck was parked. Embry first went over to the passenger side door and opened it, gesturing with his hand that we get in.

"Ladies first." Embry asserted with a wry smile.

Bella climbed in first, scooting over towards the middle of the seat to give me enough room to squeeze in beside her before I reluctantly hopped in and shut the squeaky door.

"You'll have to ride in the back Jared," Embry said, climbing into the driver's seat.

"Fine by me," Jared responded. "I'd rather not risk being in there when one of them hurls."

"Please, they've got to be tougher than that," Embry scoffed. "They do run with bloodsuckers, after all."

"We'll see about that." Jared snickered.

Embry started up the rowdy engine as Jared leaped briskly into the bed of the truck, keeping one hand on the roof as Embry began driving away.

Once we were off the road that led to the Black's residence, Embry drove on the empty highway in silence until after a few short minutes went by, he took a turn onto a narrow dirt road.

At the end of the path was a tiny, two-story wooden house. Towering pine trees and overgrown greenery surrounded the sides and backside of the home. There was one glass door as the entrance, one slender square window above it on the second story that looked out towards the dirt driveway, and a few flower pots on the weathered porch filled with bright marigolds and dandelions.