𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟏

─── ・ 。゚♡: *

─── ・ 。゚♡: *.☽ .* :♡ ˚。・ ───

I never received a call that night from Dakota.

I tried texting her instead, in case she perhaps didn't feel like talking over the phone, but still received no answer.

I tried telling myself she likely caught up with Jacob after he ran out of the theatre, took him home in his car, and possibly went to sleep after that while forgetting to call me as she agreed to.

I knew she technically wasn't obligated to, though I still felt worried after the previous night's event. I had no idea what was wrong with Jacob, or why he was behaving so strangely seemingly out of nowhere.

Did Mike say something harsh to him before Dakota and I reached them, thus causing Jacob to snap back? Or was it truly a random conduct on Jacob's end? Either way, I had never seen him behave so peculiarly before, and I had honestly never seen Dakota show that much concern before over anyone.

If I had to be honest, she exhibited something far more than regular worry — it was something unreadable to me, but still, something that was concerning enough to make me worry for her as well.

The next morning, I tried calling again, only for her phone to be answered by her father Billy. He told me that Jacob had caught mono — a condition far worse than the stomach flu — and was resting in bed, answering Bella's question as to why he wouldn't answer her phone calls either.

When I asked Billy about Dakota, he claimed she was fine, but was busy catching up on homework and was helping him take care of Jacob who could barely move or do much of anything with how "sick" he was.

What made me grow suspicious was when I offered to bring over some medicine, or some tea, or anything else Jacob could use to help him with recovering from his sickness, Billy hastily told me it wasn't necessary, and said I, along with Bella should stay away for a while, as he didn't want us also catching it from being around Jacob or his home.

Defeated, I simply told Billy to let Dakota know I called and needed to speak with her soon before he agreed and hung up the phone.

Although I understood she had her own life with other responsibilities — one now being taking care of her bed-ridden brother — I didn't understand why she couldn't simply send me a short message, letting me know she was busy with the things Billy explained to me and that she couldn't talk for now but would talk to me soon. Instead, she was so busy she couldn't pick up her phone to tell me that, all because of homework and caretaking.

Despite it seeming a little skeptical to me, I let it go and went about my weekend.

Saturday, I mainly chose to catch up on some homework myself, and Bella did the same without much discussion between us that day, as I could tell she was clearly worried about Jacob herself — this made me curious to know if she also knew his true feelings for her.