Tardises and Tents (Part 1)

Summary: The Fifth Doctor, Adric, Tegan and Nyssa get stranded on an alien planet, and end up on an impromtu camping trip as they wait for the Tardis to return. 

This is my first Classic Doctor Who fan fic!! I hope you enjoy : ) 

Tegan stood in the forest and breathed deeply, enjoying the calm air, the woodland scents, and the peaceful, almost blissful, silence. They were on a small planet called Arabol - a planet of nature and wilderness, and home to a fascinating race of leaf people. She smiled, enjoying the calm. Compared to the usual chaos, the sound of only birds tweeting, leaves rustling, and....wait..was that.....was that the TARDIS? The unmistakable wheezing jolted her out of her tranquil day dream, and she began to sprint towards the source of the noise.

Inevitably, the others had heard the sound too (good, she couldn't help thinking, they didn't take off without me) and they had all come running. The Doctor was standing at the front of the group looking more than a little concerned, and Nyssa and Adric stood behind. Tegan jogged over to them.

"What's happened?" She asked, directing her question to the other two, and leaving the Doctor to wander sadly around the spot where the TARDIS had been seconds before.

"The TARDIS dematerialised." Answered Adric.

Tegan rolled her eyes. "Tell me something I don't already know."

"We don't know anything more than that." Said Nyssa, ever the peacekeeper. "It just sort of.....went."

"Did anyone get inside it?" Pressed Tegan.

"Not that we saw." Said Nyssa, trying hard to remain calm for all of them. At this moment, the Doctor returned from his circling.

"Any idea what happened?" Said Adric.

"It was one of two things." Said the Doctor, replacing his Sonic Screwdriver in his pocket, and looking thoughtfully at them.

"Oh?" Prompted Adric.

"Either the HADS - hostile action displacement system, the TARDIS relocating itself if it senses danger," he clarified, "or some external force influencing the systems, forcing it to go somewhere. Or, I suppose, someone could have broken in." He added as an afterthought. "But that's unlikely, it was locked, and no one but me can fly it."

"Not even you can fly it properly." Muttered Tegan.

The Doctor looked a little hurt. "That's not fair." He said.

"Yes it is, you've tried and failed to get me back to Heathrow at least 15 times by now."

There was a silence, as everyone took in this fairly good point.

"Well," said Nyssa, "we can worry about Heathrow once we get the TARDIS back."

"Yes, about that." Added Adric. "What are we actually going to do?"

"There's not much we can do." Said the Doctor. He looked slightly more concerned than he had done before. "But take more readings and hope we can figure out what happened to it."

"This doesn't seem very likely." Said Tegan, her voice rising a little in fear. "What are the odds that we get it back now?"

"Try not to think about that." Said the Doctor, placing a hand on her shoulder. "Right now we need to find somewhere to stay. There's just one more reading I want to get, and then we can have more of a look around."

He pulled out the sonic screwdriver, and scanned all around the area, walking a large radius around the site. When he returned to them, his eyes had lit up with hope.