The Stranger in the Leather Coat

"Tosh, have you got those reports yet?" Asked Jack, as he strode into the room and tossed his coat over a chair.

"Yep. Three known sightings in Cardiff, all right before incidents." She replied, staring intently at the page that was scrolling on her screen.

"Incidents?" Asked Gwen, stepping forward for a closer look. "What does that mean?"

Owen joined the conversation, "Stuff that was covered up - Aliens and the like."

"By us?" Gwen wondered.

Owen snorted. "Definitely not. We're much better at covering stuff up than this."

"So you think this guy is connected to the incidents then?" Asked Ianto, passing coffees around to everyone.

"I reckon so, yeah."

"But what happened? If these were Aliens, and it wasn't us that stopped it, then who was it?" Asked Gwen.

"Gwen Cooper, asking the right questions." Said Jack, grinning at her. "Who is this guy, and how is he connected. We need to launch a full scale investigation. Ianto, look his face up on the data base - name, adress, anything you can find." Ianto nodded, and turned to a computer. "Tosh, Gwen, I want you to find out more about these 'incidents'. Gwen, go to the Police if you have to, but stay connected." He was interrupted by a ping - an alert. "Owen, we're going into the community - door to door asks, that sort of thing." Owen nodded, and they left, Jack scooping up his coat and gun on the way out.

"Right, I'll go to the Police Station then, see what I can find out." Said Gwen, and the other two nodded, engrossed in their computer work.

There was a silence, with only the sound of hurriedly typing fingers, until, "Tosh, is this database broken?" Asked Ianto, and she leaned over to look.

"It shouldn't be. Why?"

"It's not getting a match - not one. There's no files on this guy anywhere."

"There's absolutely nothing. At all? That shouldn't be possible." She flicked open a new tab, and searched the database again. The same message flashed on the screen 'No Match'.

"It's almost like he doesn't exist." Ianto mused. "I hope the others are getting on better."

*****

They weren't.

"Are you sure there's nothing?" Sighed Gwen, still looking hopefully at her former colleague. The woman was tall, wearing an immaculate police uniform, and looking slightly bored and frustrated.

"One hundred percent sure." She replied. "We had no reports of strange sightings there on the 21st, 10th or 11th."

"Doesn't mean there weren't any." Muttered Gwen, to herself.

"What was that?" Asked the woman.

"Nothing." She shook her head. "So you definitely weren't called to that area on any of those dates?"

"No."

"And what about this man? Any interactions with him over the last few months?"

The woman looked down at the picture Gwen had placed on the table.

"Surely if they own the place, Torchwood should be able to do this kind of thing for themselves." She muttered to herself, just loud enough for Gwen to hear. Gwen would never have admitted it, but it kind of stung.

"Nothing." Said the woman. "The force hasn't arrested him, or met him on a call out." She said this with some degree of finality. "Now, I've got other things to be doing than Torchwood's admin, so..." She clicked the compter off and brushed past Gwen, who was hurt by the rudeness.