Chapter 30

Chapter 30

Halloween had not ended up as badly as Harry had expected. He had a quiet evening with his parents where they shared a few drinks, toast, and turned to bed early. They had all woken up early the next day, had breakfast, and acted like the night before didn't happen. Of course, they all knew it did, but something Harry appreciated about his family was that they never felt the need to push him. Last night had been a big step for him, and for the first time in memory, he had slept through the night without the hint of a nightmare. He wasn't sure if it was the alcohol or the crying that did the trick, but he felt lighter than ever before.

Lunchtime had come around after training, and Harry was helping himself to a sandwich that Mipsy had made as Charlus came into the kitchen looking quite chipper, "Ready for the first match tomorrow, Harry?"

"It will be the toughest game of the year," Harry admitted, "but I am confident that I will reach the snitch before James and his team put up 15 goals. I admit the rest of the Slytherin team isn't very good, but I think they can hold long enough for us to pull it off."

"Fleamont says that the Gryffindor team is unstoppable," Charlus said casually, "apparently they have broken all kinds of school records."

"Well, then it will be quite the upset," Harry said with a grin.

Dorea who came into the kitchen with a cup of tea shook her head, "You boys and your sports. Can't we discuss something more productive, like our Christmas plans?"

Charlus gave his son a warning look that clearly said don't argue with your mother, and Dorea did not even hesitate to continue on her path to change the conversation, "I think some time with my brothers would be welcomed."

Charlus had just mentioned that they had not spent a Christmas with Arcturus or Fleamont in several years, but now that the family was coming back together it was about time they shared a holiday. Harry offered his mum a smile as he nodded, "A family Christmas sounds nice. Would we do it here at Potter Manor?"

"It would be the most neutral site," Charlus said easily, "Grimmauld Place and Godric's Hollow are both smaller homes that are very personal to each family. At least here we would be able to go onto the grounds, play Quidditch, start a bonfire, and have some room to enjoy ourselves. I don't think it would be a hard sell to Arcturus or Fleamont's family to come here."

"That would be brilliant," Harry said with a smile.

"Will you be inviting Elaina, Harry?" Dorea asked with a wink towards her husband that Harry caught.

"On Christmas Day?" Harry questioned, "I am sure Elaina will want to spend Christmas with her father, or any other family she has on the holiday itself. If you are both still interested in having her over though I think she wouldn't mind staying for a day or two. She has expressed interest in training with our family. I think she looks forward to it more than our company, honestly."

This made Charlus chuckle, "The girl has a thirst for knowledge that is for certain. I am almost surprised she didn't end up in Ravenclaw."

"She has the mind, but she is quite cunning," Harry admitted. "Her place in Slytherin is well deserved I think. The fact that she has survived in a house of mostly purebloods speaks to her abilities to maneuver in any situation."

"It sounds like you have come to admire the girl a lot," Dorea said with a knowing smile as she avoided her son's glance.

"She's a great witch," Harry defended, "not to mention she has come to my aid, and the aid of my family."

"You don't have to defend yourself to me," Dorea said, holding her hands up, "I think it's cute."

Charlus groaned at the woman's choice of words, "Darling, please don't refer to our son's situation with the girl as cute. You are going to ruin the girl's chances by antagonizing the boy."