Chapter 25

Chapter 25

Harry had tried to keep his head down at Hogwarts for the remainder of his second week. He figured he had rocked the boat enough for the time being, and didn't want to give any of the professors or members of Slytherin House a reason to not be able to try out for the Quidditch Team.

Instead, he had attempted to distract himself with Marlene. When he had asked the girl if they were a couple now, she merely giggled, told him he was cute, and left him standing in the corridor looking quite confused. Instead of questioning the situation, however, he continued to have late-night rendezvous across the castle with no one being the wiser.

He had been extensively questioned by his friends about why he had not been in the dueling club, but he shrugged it off stating he had his own training to worry about. It was clear the Marauders and the other Gryffidnors were having a hard time believing his excuse, but it was Marlene who gave him the most suspicious look. The girl seemed to be like a bloodhound when it came to the time he spent with Elaina. Perhaps if they were in a relationship he would explain to Marlene what he was doing, but since she had made no indication of wanting to take that step, he had no interest in revealing the covert lessons.

Elaina and Harry had another training session in the early hours one morning when she met him in the common room stating she couldn't sleep. She had done her best to run with him, and he had circled back to duel with her when he finished his own workout, but Harry could tell something had rattled the girl in her sleep. The look on her face was all too familiar.

On the third Saturday of September Harry found himself on the Quidditch pitch in colors he never could've imagined himself wearing. It was the day of tryouts, and fifth-year Regulus Black was standing in front of all of them with an irritated expression on his face. The young man was the youngest Quidditch captain in school right now, and Harry knew from experience what pressure it could be to have to take charge of your older housemates.

A phantom pain in the back of his head reminded him of Mclaggen hitting him with a beater's bat in the middle of a game and costing them their match against Hufflepuff. Grimacing at the memory, he looked around and noticed the eyes of Regulus Black upon him. Harry offered the boy a nod of respect, which was not returned as the captain began his speech, "Welcome to tryouts. I have been tasked with building a successful Slytherin team with the best talent available, no matter the cost. Professor Slughorn has tasked us with beating James Potter, and his dynasty of Gryffindor powerhouses. This is a challenge I have accepted. My selection for this team will be final. Nothing other than your skill on a broom will be judged on this field today. Is that clear?"

Grinning at the speech Harry was the first to answer verbally, "Yes, sir."

Regulus' left eye twitched as he grumbled under his breath, clearly displeased by his own speech as others muttered their assent, "Good. Let's divide the flyers up by position, and get started. All positions are open today, so let's get to it."

Without hesitation, Harry stepped into a small group of flyers that consisted of those who would be trying out for seeker. He was thankful none of the seventh years boys he had quarreled with would be trying out, and took a sinister grin when he realized Crouch Jr was looking quite confident in the upcoming tryouts. Harry moved to stand beside the boy, and playfully bumped him with his elbow, "What do you say, Barty? May the best seeker win?"

"Up yours, Potter. The only reason you are being allowed to try out is because Slughorn insisted on it. Otherwise, Regulus would have banned you from the team." The boy grumbled with irritation displayed on his countenance.

Deciding to rile his opposition up he threw an arm around the boy, pointing towards the stands, "Speaking of old Sluggy look over there. He looks so proud that we have put our differences aside for the good of the team."