Chapter 22

A Date To Remember

Terrence Higgs took daily swims. Everyone knew his hobby. Witches liked to linger in the outer corridors as he moved through the waters of the Black Lake just to catch a glimpse of his suit. He owned specialty swimwear that were charmed to endure the cold conditions of Scottish winter waters. The black fabric covered all his flesh. Just below his chin the swimsuit started and ended at his ankles. Winter cold did deter most of the prying eyes to the inner depths of the castle.

Today, he took a swim just after the evening meal. As far as Hermione could tell, she was the only one who watched him cross the lake. Terry rose from the waters a short while later. The bare of his feet as they stood buried in mounds of white snow looked painful. He remained unbothered.

The stack of his folded clothes levitated behind him as he traced through the rocky beach back to the Hogwarts. The long strands of his hair dripped water onto his shoulders. His flesh was animated with color; the blood brought to the surface from the cool waters of the Black Lake.

Hermione Granger pictured him as a Californian surfer as he walked. Had he swung a board beneath his arm, he would have looked the part. It was an intoxicating scene. He was fit, and beautiful. Something so relaxed yet regal in his demeanor as he walked.

He smiled politely and waited for a pair of Ravenclaws to pass on the narrow walkway carved through the snow drifts. They exchanged a few polite greetings. His voice carried on the wind.

She forced her knees steady when his eyes fell upon her, in the threshold awaiting his return, but they had other ideas. A tickle behind her kneecap nearly brought her to the ground. Her hands gripped the stone wall with all her might. Teeth clenched.

She begged her courage not to abandon her to her ethics, which would swallow her whole if she allowed herself to think on it much longer. This required no thought. Just action.

Terry entered the castle only adorned in his diving suit and wand. There was still the solid black necklace at his throat. A shiny single silver ring rested in his ear. A droplet dripped from the flowing black of his locks. She had to wipe away the drool from the corner of her mouth before he noticed the literal allure.

Damn Malfoy and the hormones he left unsatisfied. Would she ever be normal again?

"My, my. What a surprise." Terry pulled at the taut snap at the back of his neck. The top of his suit relaxed at it was pulled apart. "Managed to escape from him, I see."

"Seems like he has been yearning to escape from me," she replied.

Terry remained quiet. He did, though, mumble a charm to warm his dripping wet body.

Her eyes were too attracted to the silhouette he cut in that suit. She forced herself to glance back at her hands. "I thought I might take you up on your offer."'

She chewed her bottom lip. It was not easy to contain herself.

His brows were slow on their ascent upward. "Finally found something better to do."

"Well there was a line at the Astronomy Tower so..." Hermione grinned.

He chuckled. "Where's the prat at, anyway?"

"Probably planning his date." She shrugged.

Terry whistled a long, low note. "He's more of a wanker than I thought."

The question remained unanswered. It allowed room for the unwanted penetration of rejection as she waited, the quiet between them rather poised on the assumption that he would answer her request. Her finger hooked beneath another. She shifted her weight, moving more than an impatient six-year-old.

Year 5 - StockholmOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara