chapter 3 | Play with me

I have never felt so scared to face him before, but this is my fault, I guess.

"Why do you lie to me, y/n?" he obliges me to be sincere, despite how much I have been trying to avoid this issue. "You've never acted that way before. We were always honest with each other, we always talked it out no matter what the problem was, so what have I done or said for you to do this?"

I never drift my eyes away from that one same spot I am staring at, and a heaviness in my throat starts to form a sort of painful obstruction. "You should..." I think thoroughly about the words I need to tell him, making sure I will not regret anything. "I think it'd be better if we distance ourselves from one another..."

"What? Why?" he asks me to give reasons, and my vision eventually becomes blurry. I was not planning on talking about it. I thought about doing so this morning, and last night, but I gave up as soon as I saw him in front of me. "I know you probably don't realize it, but this isn't right. You need to focus on your girlfriend. This is better for us. For the three of us."

"Y/n. What the hell are you talking about?" his reaction expresses many hurtful emotions, and I look to the right when I feel some tears roll down my face. "Can you explain this sudden change to me? There's nothing wrong going on. You're the one believing there is a problem-"

"There is, Jungkook," I cut him off and look at him. "Can't you see or understand? Or are you just ignoring it? I-" a sharp sigh escapes my mouth, and I break eye contact. "Every time I talk about it with Enna, with my dad, they tell me this isn't okay. And I know you're staying so much in contact because...because you feel pity but will never admit it-"

"I don't do that out of pity, stop fucking saying that," he makes it very evident he does not like to hear me say those words, and his tone of voice drags my attention over him. "I care about you. I always did, and this fucking girl is getting on my nerves for putting so much shit in your head. She doesn't know us, she will never do, your dad only knows what we let him know because he's only 'here for you' when things go his way, so why would you let them opine themselves and ruin our relationship?" he makes it impossible to control myself and not cry in front of him. "Have you been ignoring me all this time because of some bullshit she's saying about me?"

"No," I wipe my tears away, hating this moment more than ever. "Then tell me why you suddenly want us to be distant. You know I won't be able to not talk to you anymore, you fucking mean the world to me."

"I just want you to focus on your girlfriend. I don't like feeling in the way, feeling...Knowing this won't ever be like before, so it's better if we stop talking," I state against my will, hoping for this to be nothing but a nightmare I can wake up from. "This makes no fucking sense," he refuses to agree. "We've been going through so much shit together for more than two years, and out of nowhere, you decided it's best to act like strangers and expect me to be fine with this."

"I don't expect you to be alright with it. I just want you to understand," I do my best to not make him upset, but this does not work. "Understand? And how? You don't even explain why you do this. Is it because of what you heard on the phone that day? I told you not to-"

"It's not about that!" I interrupt him, sick of this situation. "You don't even understand this whole thing hurts me! I want you to stop caring about me," I simplify and glance at him but discern some tears in his eyes. "I want you to stop worrying about me. That's all I'm asking for, Jungkook."

"That's all?" he sneers, not taking me seriously. "Are you kidding me?"

"I'm sorry," I open the door and get out of the car, not listening to his voice anymore but preventing his reaction from aching me even more. I walk away and wipe my tears away, the cold tensing my body, the snowflakes covering my face with more wetness.