chapter 1 | Plaything

Wednesday, January 11th, 2023.

11:30 pm.

< hey, I'm sorry if I'm being annoying but it's been three days since you last answered me. Are you okay? I'm really worried rn ]

I read the new text I received from Jungkook after thinking about him and staring into space. Feeling like I should answer him and not ignore again, I put my elbow down next to my science book and start to type, but after only two words, I pause, and I decide to delete my answer.

He must be with his girlfriend right now, so pretending to be busy is better for me.

I sometimes wonder why what I do still matters to him so much.

I put my phone back on my desk and set my eyes on my books to study for tomorrow's test. I am pretty nervous as always. I know that I will fail, no matter how hard I try to memorize the subject, my brain does not seem to work the same way it used to in the past. I feel so dumb.

A sigh escapes my mouth through the silence, but my phone vibrates for the second time, and my heart gives a punch to my chest.

< If you're trying to deal with something on your own, I want you to stop and talk to me. I'll always be here for you no matter what happens and you know that so don't keep anything to yourself ]

He points it out as if he knew, and those words cause some tears to grow in my eyes. I turn my phone upside down to not see anything of our chat anymore, and I glance away.

I need to clear my head and think about something else. Something that will not hurt me.

- Next day -

Thursday, January 12th, 2023.

7:40 am.

"See you later," I say goodbye to my mom and leave the house to go and head to the bus stop. Feeling less affected by the cold than I expected to be, I do not put my gloves on but hold my phone with my bare hand and answer Jungkook's text, which I had a hard time ignoring for a whole night.

[ hey, I'm doing fine. I'm sorry for not answering, I'm just busy with school. What about you? How are you doing? Is the internship going well? >

I leave the chat to not see anything above these last texts, and I answer to my friend, Enna, who will probably be waiting for me in the bus. However, right after this has been sent, I already receive an answer from my best friend.

< Are you sure it's just bcs of that? I feel like you're having a hard time but not telling me about it ]

[ no, I'm fine. Really >

He does not answer me but calls, and since I do not have any excuse to give this time, I pick up. I bring my phone to my ear and listen to his voice, this one that always makes me feel good, but yet, so bad as well. "Hey."

"Hey," I speak and look in front of me to not forget where I am going. "Are you perhaps avoiding me since that call?" he specifies the last one we had with a simple 'that', and I think twice before replying. I could lie again or tell him the truth. Neither of them would change anything. "I don't know. I don't want you both to fight because I'm being-"

"We don't fight because of you," he cuts me off, not listening to the rest my sentence. "But it's okay now, I don't want you to worry or feel at fault for anything that happens between her and I. Alright?"

I force a smile and look down to the ground. "Yeah."

A few seconds full of silence follows my faint voice, without provoking any awkwardness, and I stop to wait for the bus to come.