Chapter 17 • Liability II

China's POV:

From what I've been told, this will be the last meeting for some time. Or at least the last meeting involving west and eatern relations for some time. Thank God. I need a break from these kind of meetings. Soviet, North and I met up early and were waiting at the meeting hall. For whatever reason, this meeting is being held in that capitalist pig's land. Just our luck. The people here are so rude, pointing and staring at me and my allies as we've walked past. Of course, we're in human form. But I suppose seeing foreigners in your country just happens to warrant such disrespect. What's worse is we're in New York... UN lives here. I bet he'd want a conversation with us at the very least. He always does. Hopefully, we don't run into him.

Already, I see that NATO and America have already arrived early. They both cast disguested glares at us as if we were children on a playground. Soviet begrudgingly goes over to greet them. North and I stay behind, looking around instead. I hold my hands together, wishing I had worn some gloves. The feeling of any sort of grime just gets to me. If my hands aren't clean, then the rest of me probably isn't either. And I bet this place is filled with filth.
"North, what did you do with my gloves? Soviet said he lent them to you."
North mutters tiredly,
"Threw them away? I thought they were disposable."
I'm at a loss for words. Those gloves were expensive! Though, I suppose buying a new pair wouldn't be so bad.

I look around the entrance and, to my delight, Wales is also here early, but appears to be accompanied by someone else. I recognize them easily: it's Scotland. He must be the replacement. Hopefully, he's not like England.

I decide to greet both of them, dragging North with me. Wales nods as a greeting,
"Bore da (good morning), China."
I return the greeting,
"早安 (good morning), Wales and Scotland."
Scotland eyes me up and down - rude - and says nothing.
"How are you two?"
"Decent," Wales replies. It's nice someone can actually drop the whole west vs east idea and hold a normal conversation.
"Fine, and you two?" Scotland sighs.
"Fine, as well." I respond.
North mutters in response. He's being moody, as usual.

Finally, everyone else arrives. The meeting can finally begin.

There's already tension in the air. Perhaps we've worsened it by getting rid of that liability. They might believe it was us... Well, it was us, but they can't know that.

NATO speaks up with the clear voice he always has. I tune it all out. He's repeated this over and over again; always saying it before meetings. Talking about how we need to keep it civil and not get argumentative. It always ends up as such.

About half an hour goes by and America starts to accuse Soviet of having something to do with England. He's not wrong, but we need to deny it.
"Why do you think we are involved?" Soviet asks.
America scoffs,
"Really? First you target Britain, so obviously you target England next!"
Strange. Doesn't America refer to Britain as father? I can hear a slight malice under his breath. There's definetly something going on between the both of them. It's not my business, though.
"...I never targeted Britain... We were only discussing peace is all..." Soviet remarks.
I'm glad he's good at making excuses.
"Then what about England? He's in coma right now-" France chimes in "-probably beacuse of you."
I actually hate her voice so much. Her accent is difficult and she sounds whiny. She's quite annoying, too. It's probably for the best she and Britain divorced.
"And I'm telling you, I had nothing to do with that." Soviet argues back. I can tell from his voice that he also thinks she's annoying.
Some of the other westerners scoff, ready to add fuel to the fire. But, to mine and everyone else's surprise, Wales speaks up. This is the first time he's spoken up during a meeting.
"If they did target England, then why am I still here? Surely I'd of been targeted too, right?"