CH. 18 Be Careful What You Wish For

Alex stood in the cramped living room of the New Orleans apartment, rummaging through a cluttered desk drawer until she found her cell phone. She dialed a familiar number and put it on speaker. "We need some Chinese food delivered," she announced to the brothers.

As they waited for their food to arrive, Alex set up a laptop on the coffee table and began streaming movies.

Gabe looked around the small space. "Where are we?" he asked.

"Grange relocated us here from the carriage house after Morgan tracked me down," Alex explained. "It's still in New Orleans and the other tenants here are agents who will shoot Morgan on sight. And it's safe - Grange made sure no one will find us here."

Gabe sat down on the couch, stiff and formal as always. "No more questions for now," he said.

***

          Rile kicked the empty takeout containers off the coffee table, sending them clattering to the floor. Alex didn't object, instead leaning her head on Rile's shoulder as they sat on the couch together.

Rile announced, "Cajun food and my movie picks."

"Fine." Alex laid her head on Rile's shoulder. "Gabe, this sucks most for you. I'm sorry it worked out like this."

Gabe gazed out the window with a troubled expression, his fists clenched at his sides.

Cale's voice cut through the tension like a knife. "Temporary setback," he stated firmly.

          Gabe shrugged. "I don't know."

          "I do. Temporary. Setback," Cale said in the same firm tone. We're young and have our whole lives ahead of us. And let's be real, did you really want to spend the rest of your life with Kini?"

"Did you see how she looked at me?" Alex asked.

          "No Gabe for you!" Rile replied merrily, and they all laughed again.

***

          The moonlight filtered through the curtains and fell softly on the bed, illuminating the tousled sheets. Alex sat up and leaned against the pillows, her eyes searching for Rile's in the darkness.

"I need to talk to Gabe," she said quietly.

Rile, always alert at her slightest movements, propped himself up on one elbow and looked down at her. "Are you telling me to eavesdrop?" Rile asked with a grin.

          "I positively encourage it. Of course, I'll never be able to throw you a surprise birthday party." Alex smiled and playfully tapped his muzzle with one finger.

          He kissed her lightly on the lips. "I can live with that."

          Alex's fingers wrapped around the leather handle of her Guardian sword, the weight and familiarity of it grounding her. As she lifted it from its resting place, Rile sat up in bed, instantly alert.

"Alex, remember what I said about using your Guardian sword on another Guardian!" he exclaimed.

She turned to face him, a small smile playing at the corners of her lips as she balanced the sword in one hand. "Really, Rile? Do you think my swordsmanship is anywhere near Gabe's level that I would even dare to attack him? Why would I even attack him?"

Rile's expression softened as he gazed at her. "Because, my love, you are quite crazy, especially when it comes to my oldest brother."

Alex playfully tapped the flat of her sword against her palm. "Not that crazy, and I'm not angry with Gabe. This is just a reminder of who I am and what I'm capable of."